Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Large Format Gear on a Motorcycle

Re: Carrying Large Format Gear on a Motorcycle

i traveled in asia everywhere on a motor bike. with all kinds of gear....4 people including me! best way with a bigger back pack is to sit it on the seat behind you and just use the straps to keep it from falling off. so it is not pulling on you but rather riding on the seat behind you.

i also had a basket in front of the headlight (makes night driving challenging) and this was convenient as well.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Spoils the lines, I suppose, but I have substituted Pelican cases for the Harley bags
    Steve, nothing spoils the lines on a Harley, it's just a new version of a rat bike
    Whatever works and it sounds like you found a perfect set-up for your bike and LF gear.
    LF is much newer than riding for me so i never thought of combining the two.

An-My Le hauled a 5 x 7 Deardorff, tripod, lens and film holders on a moped accross Vietnam.

Tom

I've worn some pretty big/heavy packs while riding my Suzuki SV650 and didn't find it too bothersome. Yes the bike definitely acts differently, and yes I was certainly taking it easier than I would without the pack, but overall they were fun and enjoyable experiences. I would usually just let the majority of the weight rest on the seat and have the straps for stabilization as eddie suggests. Definitely try to keep the weight as low as you can though, put the heavy items on the bottom with shirts, bulky things on top. And A word of warning - pull the straps tighter when there are strong cross winds!

If you can get sidebags they are the best though

Evan

I use a transalp, 2 pelican cases on home fabricated frames on the side and a GIVI top box, the tripod is bungeed across the seat infront of the top box

I can go anywhere

only problem is walking long distances in motorcycle gear - good when its cold and wet, but pretty hot and stinky in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by David Higgs View Post
    I use a transalp, 2 pelican cases on home fabricated frames on the side and a GIVI top box, the tripod is bungeed across the seat infront of the top box

I can go anywhere

only problem is walking long distances in motorcycle gear - good when its cold and wet, but pretty hot and stinky in the summer
    Another reason why I do not think a bike has any utility for carrying cameras if you cannot park where you will be using them. At least, then, you can shed the heaviest of the stuff and not have to worry about it.

I just cringe when I see some pretty young thing on the back of a bike in nothing more than sandals, short shorts and a halter top. Please, if you ride a bike, accept the fact that some day you are going to need something between you and the weeds, or worse, the pavement--not to mention just avoiding the contact of bare skin with a hot exhaust pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Barber View Post
    I just cringe when I see some pretty young thing on the back of a bike in nothing more than sandals, short shorts and a halter top. Please, if you ride a bike, accept the fact that some day you are going to need something between you and the weeds, or worse, the pavement--not to mention just avoiding the contact of bare skin with a hot exhaust pipe.
    I'm a AGAT fellow. I've never understood the tennis shoe, short and tee shirt full face helmet folk.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McElroy View Post
    I'm a AGAT fellow. I've never understood the tennis shoe, short and tee shirt full face helmet folk.
    Attachment 38822

they just have a different definition of "gear" He has his shades, cool bike and cell phone, what else would he need?
    Last edited by Steve Barber; 1-Apr-2010 at 22:46. Reason: image

Attachment 38822

they just have a different definition of "gear" He has his shades, cool bike and cell phone, what else would he need?
    A good surgeon or maybe mortician?

Amazing machine though.

Attachment 38822

Looks a bit uncomforable for rides longer than a 1/4 mile though.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-