Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rainy Weather Backpacks

Re: Rainy Weather Backpacks

I have an Photobackpacker/Kelty P2 with the integrated rain cover, and on my last trip to Point Lobos, I almost finished before the rain started. The cover worked like a charm.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Well I just typed the whole response and was logged out as a reward for time spent. Everyone was individually referenced, so here is a less considered response. Sorry.

Brian - Hilarious. It looks as though the photo was worth getting rained on, and rained on, and rained. Truly an ephemeral moment.

I contacted Bruce at Photobackpacker. His customer service was exactly what I was looking for. Just like a shoe salesman but with far more interesting products. It was great to speak to someone who knows his product so intimately. This is a very strong front runner right now. I just have to reconcile the idea of spending this much on a backpack. Any trepidation I'm feeling is in regards to buying custom fit cases for cameras and lenses that I may not always use. It doesn't make complete sense as an investment.

Perhaps there is a cheaper alternative to his cases?

The space blankets are a fantastic idea.

Integral designs, Kinesis Gear, and NRS all have great options that will become strong contenders if I decide against Photobackpacker as it has the built in cover.

Really folks, thank you all so very much.

-JJ

I heard that ArcTeryx used to make a truly waterproof backpack but no longer (it was too expensive anyways). Rain covers are ok but that makes one more annoying step to get into your bag. Cheapest option is to line the inside with a contactors clear garbage bag. It works beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I heard that ArcTeryx used to make a truly waterproof backpack but no longer (it was too expensive anyways). Rain covers are ok but that makes one more annoying step to get into your bag. Cheapest option is to line the inside with a contactors clear garbage bag. It works beautifully.

Maybe you're referring to this product: http://www.rei.com/product/780142

It is $499 at REI.

Regards

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Sil-nylon which is silicon impregnated nylon is very strong and the most waterproof. It is the best lightweight material for tarps, etc. It is expensive but not really for something small like a backpack cover. If you get one of those, seal any seams with McNett Sil-Net seam sealer.
    McNett makes a good product, but it comes in a tube, which does not lend itself to clean application. An old thru-hiker gave me a better tip:
    Take a glass jar and mix mineral spirits with clear silicone (sealant, not lubricant) at about 3:1 ratio, and stir til the chunks are dissolved. Apply with a brush. It's much easier to apply, looks better, and can be applied in multiple coats if desired.
    Make sure to stuff your pack with newspaper, pillows in a garbage bag, or other so that the pack seams are not folded over on itself before applying. Silnylon tents/tarps should be setup, with lines taut before application.
    True silnylon is nylon impregnated with silicone, so only the seams need to be sealed.
    This will only keep out the rain from coming in. It does not stop condensation, which is something else you should consider. Love those liner bags!
    Last edited by cdholden; 25-Mar-2010 at 06:29. Reason: don't forget about condensation!