Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod & Head for International Travel with Field 4x5

Re: Tripod & Head for International Travel with Field 4x5

If you just want to level the camera, get a Gitzo CF leveling tripod and skip the head. The legs appear to be sealed, so you could put the lower section in water. Since I got this, I have only used the movements on my 3-way head when I wanted to shoot a ceiling. I think it will give up to 15 degrees of tilt on the column, which would let you point the camera off axis.

With my Feisol 3472 (with center column removed), I use either my Photoclam Multiflex head (copy of Arca Cube), or when weight is really a concern I put on my Acratech GV-2 ball head. I went with the 3472 for the extra height while still maintaining the stability from not using a center column. The 3472 with the GV-2 is a very light combo, though the Multiflex is a joy to use when I don't mind the added weight (day trips).
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Of course the other tactic is to forgo the nicer CF tripods and just buy $100 used metal Leitz Tiltalls and #2 and #3 series metal Gitzos on eBay. I wouldn't call them disposable, they are solid, quality tools, but if one should get lost, damaged, or stolen then no great loss.

You could even send one on ahead to your destination and sell, trade, or donate it you leave.

I have a 4 leg section carbon fiber Gitzo I am trying to sell. I used it with my Ebony, which is a similar weight to your camera.... That would be the ultimate for me.... I got another one just like it that's only a three leg section.

I also have a NovoFlex Classic 5 BallHead that's beautiful. A little pricey, but the machining is exquisite...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing