Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: diffusion head for D-2 enlarger

diffusion head for D-2 enlarger

You didn't say you couldn't "recommend" the Omega Cold Light head, Eugene, you said "There is no separate diffusion head made for the D-2."

I'm not trying to "flame" you, whatever that means, but rather to encourage ACCURATE answers to questions raised here. You don't enjoy a monopoly of experience with these machines. Please stick with FACTS. Pete stated a fact. You didn't.

Enough said.
    Alec

I have an Omega D2V. I think this is the one you are writing about. Aristo makes a cold light head for the D2 and D2V. I have one but went back to the condensers after using it for a while. Mine has the older type of lamp which has high blue output for graded papers. There is a newer version with a lamp compatible with variable contrast papers. I went back to the condensers for a couple of reasons. 1, There was no difference in tonal rendition between the two. 2, For 4x5 the condensers had more uniform illumination when the enlarger was carefully aligned. 3, While the Aristo head has tons of light output for 4x5 is has very much less for 35mm. 35mm is where you need the intensity since most 35mm negative films (B&W) have a gray base and because the degree of magnification is larger. I do find heating and consequent negative popping a problem with the condenser. I get around this by either heating the negative by turning the lamp on before making the exposure and then turning it off momentarily when I put the paper under the enlarger, or using a glass sandwich negative holder. The second is the best way to keep negatives flat but keeping all those surfaces clean is a PITA. The Aristo lamps have a built in heater to keep the output relatively constant. Fluorescent lamps like to run hot. The light output varies with the lamp temperature, so they are really not suitable for intermittant use. The heater helps but it would be better if the lamp could be kept burning all the time and exposures controlle with a shutter. Of course, this would also fix the negative popping problem with condensers:-) If you decide on the Aristo head buy another condenser can. Keeping the condensers in their can helps to prevent damage if you ever decide to go back to them plus a notch must be made in the upper edge of the can for the Aristo cables to come out. Aristo is on the web, see http://www.aristogrid.com/ They are sold by B&H, Calumet, etc.

Thanks everyone for the info. Pete thanks for the link. Judging by the prices at Harry T's, Would I be correct in guessing that his enlargers are in like new condition?

It sounds like the Aristo cold light head might be what I'm looking for. I only use black and white. Papers are both graded and variable contrast.

I've been using a 6x9 roll film back on a Horseman 45FA because thats as big as my current enlarger can handle. I'm really looking forward to movinng up to 4x5.

Richard mentioned something that promps another question about the D-2V... Is it easy to align?

thanks again, dee

re: Omega D2, is it easy to align? I don't know -- I bought mine new in 1953 and it's never needed realignment even though I've moved it over 30 times from one darkroom to another. Sorry I can't help.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Octogenarian

Yes, Dee the Omega D-2V is easy to align. It has four adjustment screws which allow the negative stage to be tilted front to back and side to side. It does not have a separate adjustment mechanism for the lensboard, but alignment for the lensboard can be done by loosening the focusing rod screws. This enables some slight adjustment of the entire focusing mechanism as well as the lensboard. Fine adjustments can be done by carefully leveling the easel on the baseboard with shims, making it exactly parallel to the negative. Fortunately, the lensboard seems to hold it's alignment very well.

I have moved my Omega D-2 across the USA, from coast to coast, many times. Usually disassembled in the trunk of my car. It often required re-alignment after re-assembling it. However, it is a simple procedure.

I'm sure you'll enjoy using your new Omega D-2V. And thats a fact you can count on!

Check this site. You'll find both the enlarger manual and the Technical Manual [which includes instructions for alighment] online there.

http://www.darkroompro.com/equipment/enlargers/
    Alec

I have had the Aristo head for about 15 years and love it. They didn't have the high powered one when I got mine and that is the one I would go with if I were to do it again. Your prints will be beautiful and I have developed my system to develop for printing so that I don't need filters most of the time although you can use the Ilford 6" filters right on the negative stage.