Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: F:64 -Sharp is Dead

Re: F:64 -Sharp is Dead

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    My guess is that his writing is a "waist" of time.
    No, guessing at someone else's expense is a waste of time. I have been helped immensely by Mr. Allens book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Allen View Post
    Three sizes of accessory focal Plane shutters were built by Graflex. 8x10, 6x8 and 5x7. I assume they were primarily marketed to fit Cycle Graphics but they also could be used on a 2D or a Century Studio Camera.

Jay Allen
    I was always wondering how would they perform on a lightweight camera vibration wise...

I have a fully functional 8x10 Graflex FP shutter and would like to someday build a custom 8x10 SLR camera using it. The project is temporarily halted and the FP shutter is currently being used on a super wide camera, but would like to build an 8x10 version of the Series/Super D when I get a chance.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...light=8x10+slr

BTW, sharp is not dead in my book, it just has its place and time.

Sure Henry,
    the FP shutter invites itself to a number of projects... I was even thinking about the convenience of a smaller model used as Picard shutters are, nothing new in the history of photography (see the old wooden behind lens shutters) but not done yet in this type. Not to speak about other possibilities of this thing. Technically it should be possible to make a modern FP shutter with good precision and a smooth function.

Eric Biggerstaff

What goes around comes around, in time people will get tired of the soft fuzzy look and go for sharp, and then it will swing around again. Who cares, just do what you want and enjoy it, life is to short to worry about it. I see as much crappy soft look as I do crappy sharp look. Good artists make good work no matter what the style.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Your project maybe of a different league, like you say GPS, but I would like to use this FP shutter I have specifically for spontaneous photography, i.e. on the focal plane in a reflex arrangement, not merely a large surface area timing mechanism for those big barrel lenses. It's by no means a new invention, just something of a utilitarian nature since I love using my Super D but 8x10 is really my preferred format. Yes, in this day and age, I'm certain something much more precise than the Graflex shutters could be manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    I see as much crappy soft look as I do crappy sharp look. ...
    But of course - and pictures on this forum are just a happy example of it. And from this point of view the whole point is completely futile. Soft pictures better than sharp ones - good grief, what did happen to the common sense...

joseph

Gosh GPS-
    would you mind very much if I happened to agree with you?
    I've always found the empirical input of Mr. Galli very enlightening,
    and if he's found the works that have been referenced to be enlightening,
    then we're all enlightened-

However, the purpose of an internet forum, on a basic level,
    might be to allow individuals space to display their prejudices-
    and there have been some displayed here-

There has been some good sense talked too-
    I don't have to point those posts out-
    they're easy to identify-

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    That used to be the case, but musicians and producers get fooled all the time these days in blind listening tests. People with digital keyboards who want to sound like a Steinway just used sample libraries recorded from a Steinway. The quality of the samples available today is pretty mindblowing.

Likewise, people who claim they can hear the difference between a vintage guitar amp and a digital model of one generally eat crow when the blindfold goes on.

I don't think immitation is the most compelling use of any technology ... but if you're going to criticise digital technologies for their lack of ability, you should make sure you're actually right.
    He's right.I studied classical piano and jazz as a youth, and have made my living since 1980 doing it, and writing/producing with a studio based here in So.Cal.I own two Steinway's, a Model D and M.We also have several hundred gigabytes of sampled pianos, and these days use them over the Steinways as its more cost effective, and much less hassle.On record you can't tell the difference.Same thing with the guitars, its all amp models in the box these days.In the pro audio world we have arrived.Now in the photography world imho we still have a ways to go.

C

Chris,

I am sure you are right as far as you went. but who wishes to go to a concert to see some on place CD in a player?

It is the same with photography. I pull my picture clicker out and a snape a quick shot and run to my electronic darkroom and push some buttons and think I have a masterpiece.

My ex-wife noiced that the quicker a camera worked the less good images that were taken.

-- ie the camera moving faster than the photographers mind.

So view cameras and Graflexes can help create better images because they work a speed that allows both the camera and the user to do their best work.

Jay Allen