Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x5 Victorian Camera first results

Re: 4x5 Victorian Camera first results

Thanks for posting !
    It gives me some idea's for my full pate camera's (under restauration)

By the way, if one is looking for a small an precize table saw, look at Proxxon.
    I will be buying on of their table saws when I am back in Holland again.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_feldman View Post
    Here are images of my half plate to 4x5 adapter and the original book-form holder (left image). It has ears on both sides that match those on the book-form film holder (right image, adapter on top of book-form holder). To use it, I swing the ground glass out of the way and insert the adapter, as I would the book-form holder. I can then slide a 4x5 holder into the adapter. The slats on the back sides of the adapter (third image) act as springs to press the holder against the front of the adapter.

Getting the film plane correct required careful measurement of the original holder and sanding the adapter to have the right thickness on the lens side. I cut the wood on a Dremmel 4" hobby table saw (no longer made). I marked the location of the 4x5 frame onto the ground glass with a fine-tipped marker.

One change I might make is to take a modern 4x5 holder and fit it to hold the ground glass. Inserting the adapter is tricky, and it is easy to move the camera. Inserting and removing 4x5 holders into the adapter is smoother, so I could focus with the adapter in place using the modified 4x5 holder. This would also make framing the picture more precise.

My camera is shown at http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ara#post463550, near the middle of the page.
    Very unusual camera ! I'd never seen one of those before... great 4x5 adaptation as well
    Mauricio Sapata
    www.mauriciosapata.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Beautiful camera. The first two images appear to be out of focus, at least on my monitor.
    thanks for the feedback...first image is taken with a larger aperture, the center is sharp but it gets softer towards the edge. second shot looks sharp on my screen at least...
    Mauricio Sapata
    www.mauriciosapata.com