Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: noobie, two questions, cambo and medium format

Re: noobie, two questions, cambo and medium format

I second Gordon.

Peter

Remember that if you use 120 instead of 4x5, you'll need a shorter focal length to get the same wide angle of view. A 90mm lens is pretty wide with 4x5 film, but isn't at all wide on 6x7 cm rollfilm. You'll probably need a lens in the 40-50 mm range to give a significantly wide view on rollfilm.

It is slightly more bother to process sheet film, but the cost of the film is not terrible and it is not very difficult to use. The extra size makes for a great deal of enlargeability, which makes up for the extra hassle of processing. (The more experienced users on this forum will probably argue that the processing is not more bothersome but for me, it is.)

I have a 6x7 rollfilm back for my 4x5 but I have to confess I have never used it. (I got it as part of a used kit purchase.) It's not much extra bother to get that huge negative so I just shoot sheet film. One of these days, though, I'll give the rollfilm back a try.

I can't help but think that you are fighting a loosing battle. wide angle lenses for 4x5 cameras will not have the same field of view on roll film. It's exactly the same situation as current small snesor DSLRs: Crop factor. A 65mm lens for 4x5 is really WIDE. On 6x7 it's barely wide at all. I have a 45mm lens for my Pentax 6x7. That's wide-approximately 85 degrees angle of view. I would suggest two things: The shortest focal length lens you can find. I think there is a 47mm lens out there. Find a 6x9 roll film holder. Or 6x12. You'll need all the negative area you can get.

You could do the same with a 4x5 camera & film and a 90mm or 75mm lens. A lot cheaper and easier. And have bigger neagtives.

I was reading Jim's mind. We typed the same thing.

Expanding on Jim's roll film back idea: I bought one recently. So far I haven't used mine either. I will use it. One use I see: Films that I can't get in 4x5. On the other hand, I can use that film in my Pentax. Why did I buy a roll film back??????? I can get closer with the view camera. I knew there was a reason.

Good luck!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

ps: When you have been a member for 30 days, go shopping in the for sale listings right here. Lots of good stuff comes and goes to deserving folks. Right now there is a Cambo monorail & 2 lenses for under $1,000. Add a wide angle and Bob's your uncle!
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Wayne

Wayne's Blog

No reason you can't use a 120 roll back on most 4x5 cameras. I use a Toyo 6x9 back in my 4x5. Slips in just like a sheet film holder, just fatter. A 65mm wide angle works pretty well to get a wide view on 6x9, something roughly like a 30mm would be on 35mm cameras. A 50 on 6x9 would be the rough equivalent of a 24 on a 35mm camera.