Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Timer Problems and issues!!

Re: Timer Problems and issues!!

Your kitchen store sells digital timers that have countdown functions for around $19.00. Also Seiko and other stop watches also have timer functions for $30.00 The kitchen timer I found sets 3 separate times in separate displays
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

I would image you can get the same thing in America as I have in my darkroom. I have put quite a few BTZS users onto a talking timer I got from Dick Smith Electronics. The same timer is also available here from Tandy. The other alternative is to record a sound track based on your work flow.

Some excellent suggestions so far.

Gralabs work great. Its so easy to see that sweep hand go.

You can find a timer program for a Palm for sure, maybe Iphones and Blackberries too.

don't worry so much

I use a digital gralab (model 505, I think) that has a luminous red led display. I place a piece of black foamboard between the tank & timer (I develop with film hangers). So far I've not fogged my film (AFAIK, but then maybe I am preflashing my shadows , just kidding).

It is easier to use than kitchen timers, which I used when I started developing 4x5 in trays. The problem I run into was double hitting the start button (which stops the timer) and missing an agitation cycle.

My technique may not be within the best practices, but given the reciprocity failure of film I am not worried about fogging, but if I ever see it, I'll adapt.
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

I don't know if Radio Shack still has them (they seem to have gotten, uh.....shackier of late) but a WWV radio reciever sounds just like what you are looking for. Clicks every second, a skipped beat at :30, and a voice telling you the minute at the top. They were pretty cheap, too.

I use a talking timer and a golf metronome.Talking timer for overall time, and the golf metronome for agitation intervals since the talking timer only talks every minute and I usually agitate every 30 sec.Total investment $20.00 off the bay.

One of the many reasons why I preferred BTZS tubes to trays but I did use trays with 8x10 for a short period. I had a Gralab on a shelf about two feet above and a foot or two to the right of the developer tray and I never had any fogging problems. When I attended a John Sexton workshop at Anderson Ranch their darkroom was loaded with those little florescent strips some people put on different objects and at different places in the darkroom so they can find things in the dark. That darkroom virtually glowed and it freaked me out the first time I loaded film in it but no harm was done.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.