Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I let a MONSTER in my house...

I let a MONSTER in my house...

I may have made a miskrate, folks.

I just bought a 150mm Nikkor-SW and it is a huge beast. I acquired it to cover 5x12.5 inch pano pics but now I think I should have waited for a used 150mm SS XL to pop up. I should either return this Nikkor behemoth or re-sell it to someone in better physical condition who can lug beasts like this around. Or I'll trade it for a 150mm SS XL and a bit of cash your way. This lens covers more than the SS XL but the weight really is an issue for me.

If I decide to sell/trade I'll post in the classifieds along with a bunch of other things.

Re: I let a MONSTER in my house...

For a minute I thought you got married.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    For a minute I thought you got married.
    Nah, that's called "Starting a sequence of events over which you have no further control".

No... not married... did that one time... lost my "manly parts"... NEVER AGAIN!!

BTW, without mentioning the company name, this lens arrived in somewhat less than their 9+ condition rating... as well as the seller's verbal description. I haven't really considered returning it because it's really a very nice lens.

The difference in opinon is just a few very small cosmetic abrasions on the barrels but, more importantly, a couple of tiny (invisible to naked eye) coating scratches. These aren't anywhere near able to affect images in any way but everything together does degrade the value of the lens approximately $300-400 from what I paid for it. When I mentioned these things to the seller he seemed a bit upset and said I could return it for a refund. I was hoping he would offer some credit for a future purchase or work with me somewhow. Heck, I bought $2000 worth of goods from this company... three lenses and two large retaining rings. I expected a little more support from a company with such a good reputation.

Why don't you just return it if you are not totally happy? I would if I were you. You'll soon find another lens that suits your needs better.

I could return it but I want to be certain my decision is in no way affected by its overwhelming size/weight, which is an issue for me. I will only return it if I feel the seller misrepresented the lens in some way. I feel certain they did even though it was probably unintentional. I'll probably return it unless I can re-sell it for what I have in it... but that would have to be very, very soon because return privilege time is short.

After "thinking out loud" here and with further consideration, I would not ask more than $850-900 for this lens and may not even get $750 (this would be a very good deal for someone though). That's a $250-400 loss for me. Of course this is with full disclosure and careful description. Unless the seller works with me to make this right it's definitely going back.

Thanks for the advice.

hmmmmm......I was expecting something a little bigger.

my monster looks like this:

Ya' know though... this thing so gosh darned pretty it's almost worth the investment just to look at it. Having second thoughts... third thoughts...

BTW, the coating marks really are invisible without magnification. I definitely don't blame the seller for missing them. Still...

Scott... You don't carry that thing into the field, do you?!