Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement ballhead - suggestions?

Re: Replacement ballhead - suggestions?

I have been using a Markins ballhead for over a year now for 4x5. Very light, smooth and strong. It does what I need it to. I am using it on a Gitzo tripod.

i prefer the Arca Swiss B2 that have two axis... but weight more than the others !

the current Z2 is even better...

A second vote for the Arca Swiss B2. Looks like a ballhead but doesn't behave like one! Very easy to adjust and control all planes individually. Pricey but excellent!

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    You do not want a ball head for 8x10. It will drive you nuts trying to level the camera. I don't like a ball head on my 4x5, either. I find plate heads far easier to center with LF cameras.

For 35 mm and medium format, I love ball heads. I own a bunch of Really Right Stuff gear. But when I shoot 8x10, I only use a plate head.

Walter,

What is a "plate head"? Is that the same as a geared head?

I have the original Acratech ballhead, which I still use frequently, but for the 4x5 at least I find that the Acratech GV1 (though I guess they're now on the GV2) to be very sturdy for a Canham DLC45 using a 450mm lens. If you had a lighter 8x10, it might work out well.

Cheers!
    Bill

lazy retired bum

I too have the original Acratech which I use only for hiking with smaller formats, 6x7, and dslr. It locks tightly but it is hard to have a smooth transition between locked and "floppy." The newer versions seem better for just a bit more money though I do not feel comfortable with mine for my 4x5. I use an Arca B1 for 4x5 and it's great though I sometimes wonder about getting an RRS clamp for my old Gitzo rational heads which sit in my closet and have not sold at a couple of swapmeets. It's best to try these out, and if you have photographer friends, hit them up for a brief look.

Good luck.

Eric

If a ballhead is acceptable, consider a Burzynski head. I use one on a G1548, and I really like its low weight, and the low centre of gravity the head provides. It also locks RIGID. Designed for long telephotos, so no problem with my Ebony 45SU with a 400mm tele, or my Fuji GX680III (a big beast). I do not think 10x8 would be a problem for it.

The downsides:
    a) does not come with a QR plate -- so either have to buy one, or screw the camera direct to the head.
    b) Only sold by two shops in the world, AFAIK, one in Germany, and one in France -- but they are happy to export.
    c) not always in stock, since they are made in limited quantities, and sell quickly.
    d) not cheap!

I agree that a ball head is difficult to maneuver with an 8x10. Geared heads are much easier to manipulate as that weight.

John

A ball head with a 10-15 pound 8x10 camera plus lens and film holder isn't a good idea IMHO. The camera tends to flop around when you're trying to get it in position and with that much weight your arms get tired quickly. More importantly, it's difficult to adjust the camera position with any precision when the camera is moving in several different directions at once. I like ball heads for digital cameras and medium format but not for 4x5 and up, especially not for 8x10.

I think a pan tilt head or a geared head works best for 8x10. My favorite head for 8x10 (Deardorff) was the Bogen 3057. Rock solid and the big 4" square plate is very nice. I used it with the Bogen 3058 tripod and kept the bottom leg section contracted, which put the camera right around eye level (I'm 5' 11") and provided excellent support. I don't know if either of these are made any more but I've seen the 3057 head on ebay fairly often. A heavy set up (tripod about 8 pounds, head about 4 pounds) but I didn't take long hikes with an 8x10 system so it worked very well and was less expensive than other alternatives.

I use the Bogen 410 geared head for 4x5 and smaller formats but I'm not sure it's sturdy enough for 8x10.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

AnzaRunner

I have a Kirk BH-1 ballhead that I use with my 4x5. It works great. I have even tried it with my 8x10, and it too worked just fine. All you need to do is set the minimum tension control, and they hold the 8x10 just fine. However, I opted for a Gitzo low profile pan tilt head because of the large plate size. This makes the camera more stable than using a small QR plate.