Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Next Photo-Project Going to Be?

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Re: What's Your Next Photo-Project Going to Be?

Two projects. . .

The first: after publishing my dual-language book on pineau des charentes in July 2008 http://www.sultanofcognac.com I have been inundated by information on some, almost ancient, private (cognac) distilleries, so I will begin an exposé on the small distiller and some of the old methods and tools that are still in use today.

The second: I found a digital photographer who has a wonderful eye for landscapes, therefore I am proposing producing a book illustrating the contrast between his 'digital' eye and my LF argentique (film) eye. Shots from the same viewpoint at varying times of the day, but we each select our own lenses, exposures, etc, and will create a vision of our 'visions'. This will also be a dual-language book (with the above will be the sixth for our small publishing company).
    Last edited by sultanofcognac; 10-Jan-2009 at 03:31. Reason: left out two commas!
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Interesting thoughts. I intend to concentrate on old ruins in the mountains of the Four Corners region.

I have been migrating to an emphasis on b&w, especially with the infrared or near infrared films. These films provide nice drama when used on old wood and stone ruins.

Some of the best opportunities lie in the high mountains that won't be accessible until May or June. I will be up there with the 4-wheel drive, using my Linhof loaded with Efke 820.

Also some great opportunities at the lower elevations later this winter (with my Super Graphic and again Efke).

I intend to make greater use of models as well. This is with a Bronica 6x6 (sorry) and SFX which is about 4 times faster than the Efke.

There are plenty of old mining ghost towns, abandoned in the 1890s, and Anasazi ruins, abandoned in the 1200s, within a day's drive to keep me busy for a few years. I hope to make it a busy 2009!
    al

I don't think this is exactly what you mean, but I hope to learn to develop my own B&W film, and print it somehow. (Don't know yet whether I'll be scanning/photoshpping or wet darkrooming - maybe both!) If I can figure that out soon I want to do some B&W work of ice on the large lake, Klamath Lake, where I live, and of the lake itself as the ice starts breaking up.

I've got too many unfinished projects from '08! There are at least three projects I'd like to finish, plus a lot of printing to do before adding anything new.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

al olson, very cool - I look forward to seeing your imagery from this year!

Richard M. Coda

As John K. said, there are many projects on the burner... but I think I am being drawn to older barber shops with the 8x10 this year. Took one that was very well received last year, and just made another this morning.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

I want to document my frustration at being in a country without any mountains by showing parts of my climbing gear in completely useless urban settings. I'll see where that leads me.

I'm gearing up (in the literal sense, unfortunately) to work on portraiture; my least comfortable subject matter with my 11x14. Just need to find someone to sit in front of it....Lacking that, I may be forced to hire a model. I bet that'll change my wife's mind quickly!!!

--A

...oh, and that's if I can pull myself away from architecture, which has been hard to do in the past!

I've got two projects on the go at the moment. One is to document all of the 1800's buildings in Geelong and give the owners and the local historical society a copy, and the other is to do a series of portraits of the oldere members of staff at the teaching institution where I work. All in 8x10. And then there's the normal landscape stuff.
    Mike

Currently working on a portrait project that's all about people in places that don't make any sense. It's hard to explain but I'll post it once it's done.