Thread: Eizo Flexscan

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Eizo Flexscan

How good are these? The eizos i've been wowed by were all the color edge models, but they start at about 10X what I can afford. I found a good deal for a used flexscan, but don't know how these stack up against the apple and dell monitors i'm used to using at work (which i don't like for photography as much as my lacie CRT. but the lacie is about to die, just like the last one did).

Thoughts?

Re: Eizo Flexscan

The CG 221 makes available the exact hours of use, perhaps that info is available from within the Flexscan too. The manual might reveal the steps required.

My husband had three FlexScans that he used to cart around to his scanning workshops for participants to use. My recollection is that they were his pick for a sensible balance between quality and price. I doubt he would have chosen them if they hadn't provided sufficient quality for that purpose (he wasn't a big compromiser -- he'd have bent on the price before dipping below his quality requirements). And he had one hooked up to the Cezanne here, as I recall (with a 23" Apple on his desktop across the room). Maybe someone who attended one of those workshops (or Michael Mutmansky, who taught with Ted) can offer an opinion from that perspective. I think he made that pick over 3 years ago, and, technology being as fast as it is, he might make a different decision today.

FWIW.... I've got one on my desktop, and it's terrific, but I'm not a photographer!

Bob

Ted recommended I check out the EIZO refurb page when I was looking for a monitor a couple years ago. He recommended the Flexscans as reliable and easily calibrated. I have not been disappointed in the one I got for about $150 if I remember correctly.

http://www.eizo.com/purchase/direct/monitors.asp

Bob, thanks, you reminded me to drop into Ted's email and see if there was anything else that might help.... he wrote this to another person who asked his advice in February of this year:

"The gold standard in monitors for image editing and viewing is Eizo. The best of the Eizo's are the ColorEdge monitors; unfortunately budget constraints have always kept me from getting one but it might be the next one I can get if the $$ can be justified. Other than the 23" Cinema display all our other monitors are Eizo's. We have 2 17" Flexscans and 2 19" Flexscans. All the Eizo monitors do a good job for image editing and they are sturdy, built like tanks. Two of our Flexscans have been shipped all over the country 6-7 times."

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Thanks, that's all helpful. It echoes some of the older reviews i've seen online.

Anyway, I just snagged a 19" flexscan for $60 (used)! The seller might have a couple of others at a similar price if anyone's interested.