Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fred Picker

Fred Picker

Fred once wrote, on the occasion of Ansel's dying, to "lift a glass to him, he would appreciate that". I learned a lot from years of studying Picker's materials and opinions: I'll lift a glass to him now. Peace

Photographer

Fred Picker

I attended his workshop in 1990. It was a terrific experience. I'll always remember Fred's attention at each day's session and the special privilege of seeing him print in his darkroom He was a great guy and will be missed by the photographic community.
    Keith Pitman

Fred Picker

I come a generation late to the teachings of Fred Picker, but I am not without my appreciation of a great figure in photography. When I was first learning the art and craft of photography, I read every book that I could get my hands on that related to photography, but essentially two authors really formed how I think about photography. There is, of course, the requisite Ansel Adams, but early on I was also loaned copies of Fred Picker's books and copies of all the old Zone VI newsletters. I learned a great deal from those texts all and continue to get more out of them as I re-read them. A great loss to photography to be sure. He will be missed.

Fred Picker

Mr. Picker will be sorely missed. Any time a craftsman/artist of his stature passes, we all lose something and the world becomes a little sadder.

Fred Picker

I never met Fred Picker but his Zone VI 4x5 has taken me to many wonderous and beautiful places. As a tribute to his passion for the art visit.. http://members.shaw.ca/danskahan/zoneVI.html Thank you Fred.

Fred Picker

Lift a glass to Fred! Also, pull a dark slide, trip a shutter, print a master piece, carry on in the tradition. One thing among many about Fred, he was never afraid to stand up to the Yellow God father, Kodak. He was always ready to voice his opinion, and hard facts about the short falls of modern materials. He was the first to truly innovate with his modifications, equipment design, inventions. He was an honored torch barer. But one thing about true genious is that they realize that they are only a link in the chain and they teach and encourage others to carry on and improve, build upon what they accomplished and taught. How many workshop alumni are there out there? How many have been inspired by Fred Picker?

Fred Picker

I did a bit of research looking at the VT newspapers. I found the following information about Fred.

This is from the Brattleboro Reformer, VT 04/05/2002:

Fred Picker

DUMMERSTON -- Fred Picker, 75, of Dummerston, died Wednesday, April 3, 2002, after a long illness.

An internationally celebrated photographer, author and teacher, he was a champion of causes supporting civil liberties and the environment.

A graduate of The Putney School, Mr. Picker attended the University of Vermont, taught skiing, raced sailboats, and passionately chased fish from Russia to Tierra del Fuego with a fly rod.

After serving in the U.S. Army Air Corps in Europe, he worked in the family wine business with his father, Harold Picker, and uncle, Jerome Picker. Mr. Picker pursued real estate development in Westchester County, N.Y., until the late 1960s.

With a love for the photographic art form, he returned to his beloved Vermont and quickly rose to prominence with a successful publication of numerous books and video tapes including "The Zone VI Workshop" (which still has vibrant sales), "Rapa Nui: Easter Island," "The Fine Print," and "An Iceland Portfolio." His Zone VI studios developed and sold specialty photographic equipment and supplies worldwide. He ran very successful workshops for serious amateur photographers for more than 10 years.

Mr. Picker approached life with calculated skill, daring, razor wit, and ceaseless humor. His tastes in life were broad and refined. He loved jazz, classical music, fine literature, gourmet cooking, Pink Panther movies, and the solitude of his Dummerston home.

He was a board member of the Brattleboro Museum and Art Center, a member of the Vermont Diversion Board, and a governor's appointee to the Vermont Council on the Arts.

He cherished his friendships and family, sought and demanded excellence, gave generously to those in need, and etched his unique character into the memories of all he met. With steely pragmatism, intellectual depth, and compassionate expression, he guided his life with vigor.

He is survived by a sister, Betty Picker Lauer, of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.; nephews Fred Simonds of Morristown, N.J., Dr. James Simonds of Santa Rosa, Calif., and Andrew Simonds of Boca Raton, Fla.; and his loving companion, Toby Young of Westminster. He also leaves his oldest, closest and most devoted friend, Lillian Farber of Newfane.

A memorial service will be held at the Dummerston Center Church on Sunday, April 21, at 2 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Civil Liberties Union. *********************************************************************

I never met Fred, but I found his Zone VI book to be a tremendous help to me with the Zone System and photography in general. Rest in peace Fred.

John Hannon

Fred Picker

A Great Loss ! Rest in Peace Fred. Whenever I use my Zone VI camera, your modified spotmeter, watch your videos, read newsletters, I will remember you. Thanks all the teaching and inspiration !

Fred Picker

Well whatever we think of him, he did affect the photographic lives of many of us, I have his Zone VI enlarger, bought back when he was the owner of Zone VI. Although the *^%$*& thing does not stay aligned from session to session, once it is aligned it is a wonderful piece fo equipment. The timers etc, are also very useful. Any way, just for his innovative mind he does deserve a toast with a single malt scotch and a farewell for a life well lived!

Fred Picker

I followed Fred Picker and his teaching for about 30 years. What a strong influence he was on me, starting with the Zone VI Workshop book, in 1974 - I was 16! His views were a clear beacon in a field where most writers talked mish-mosh. I remember reading Newsletter #22 on a hill behind my house in Bernardsville NJ on a chilly October day, and it brought tears to my eyes. I've held that message close to my heart since then...

I loved his catalogs and his equipment. Let's not forget what a brilliant businessman he was - he found a huge need in the marketplace and filled it very well.

I could write about my years as a photo grad student at RIT and how I stuck to the Zone VI philosophy through that, falling back on the wisdom learned from Fred and his books and his philosophy. I remember telling one of my teachers, "You're a hack - your technique is terrible and your prints are muddy." I'd felt as though I'd already had an apprenticeship before I got there... thanks to Fred Picker.

My family and I took a trip to Putney VT in 2000 and I spent a little bit of a Sunday with Fred. He seemed well and was as gracious and kind as anyone I'd ever met. It was a very fine experience.

He meant so much to me I can't believe he's gone. I had no idea he had been ill. When a person is as alive as he was, and a spirit is that strong, it seems as though they'll never die, doesn't it? It's very, very sad. I feel worse than when Ansel Adams died...

Whenever I loaded holders, developed sheet film (in a tray!), set up a tripod, or pulled a dark slide, I have always thought of him. I certainly will from now on; with a heavier heart too, I imagine...

I would place Angels on Zone VIII.

God speed you and good fishing buddy...