Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Made View Camera

Re: Home Made View Camera

I'm nearly done with an 11x14 (which I plan to add on a 12x20 expansion back later). I used my Kodak 2-D 8x10 as my basic design model, but I added front tilt and instead of geared focusing, I'm using friction focusing (u-shaped brackets that fit on the outside and underside of the double base rail).

I started with the bellows--found off ebay and built the camera from the inside out around the dimensions of the bellows and, at the back, around the dimensions of the film holders.

I used aluminum square tubing with wood cross pieces for the base rails (a double rail like the Kodak 2D). My first set of rails are 36 inches. I plan to make a shorter 24 inch rail as well for backpacking when I will only need shorter lenses. The base rail has no joints or hinges so it is very solid (you could stand on it, no problem). The base rail will be lashed to the outside of my pack when hiking.

My design is very simple, nothing as elegant or complicated as Geert's or Jim's. Also, the only power tool I needed/used was a 1/4" drill, and I only used that to make starter holes for screws. Bolts and anchors came from McMaster-Carr. Other than the bellows, all the other materials came from the local hardware store.

As for problems, I just tried to think about each step of the design very carefully and take it one component at a time--front and rear frames, front and rear standards, base rail, then the back and gg holder. One problem I ran into was building the back frame before I mounted the bellows on the front and rear frames. I had to use a smaller bellows frame than I expected to get the bellows to lay flat against the frame all the way to the corners, so had to build out from the bellows frame to my originally-expected dimensions for the inside of the rear frame.

I found it easier to design the camera completely in my head and take the construction one component at at time rather than draw it all out on paper--I must not have an engineering bone in my body.

It's taken me about a month, but that could have been compressed into a week if I could have worked on it full-time. The longest part is doing the staining and finish coats and sanding and waiting for drying between coats. Also, weeks spent trying to find a bellows I could use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I've hand built an 8x20 modeled after a Korona and an 11x14 modeled after my Zone VI 4x5.... Work from inspiration and it will be fine. You can see me and my beasts!

Jim
    Hi Jim! I met you at the Whitney Portal a month or so, it was a real pleasure and quite inspirational. I was amazed to see 3 LFers in one place at one time! I got my 4x5 two days later and have had a lot of fun with it. I hope I run into you again sometime in the Eastern Sierra. Beautiful cameras you've built!
    Tim

No Matter how long it took or how hard it was to build, there is one thing you just can not replace is that sense of accomplishment in doing it yourself , Enjoy them well
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

I've built a monorail 4x5 and also a 4x10 back for my Zone VI 4x5. I'm really having fun with the 4x10. I also have a 7x17 on deck if ambition strikes me this winter.

I have quite a few projects backed up, so only time will tell.

Eric
    Dad, why is the lens cap on?

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stealthman_1 View Post
    Hi Jim! I met you at the Whitney Portal a month or so, it was a real pleasure and quite inspirational. I was amazed to see 3 LFers in one place at one time! I got my 4x5 two days later and have had a lot of fun with it. I hope I run into you again sometime in the Eastern Sierra. Beautiful cameras you've built!
    Tim
    Tim, nice to hear from you! Yes I remember. I have not printed the image from the set up I had but the negative looks good. I got several great images from that trip and I'm slowly getting them printed. Nice to see you got your 4x5. I know I love mine! I've been into the big neg's lately. Trying to get the carbon transfer process nailed down. Things are coming along nicely. Hope to see you again.

Jim