Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Camera stuff--who did it come from?

Re: Camera stuff--who did it come from?

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    Has anybody noticed that Jim Galli hasn't intervened in this forum for a while now?
    I wonder where he is.....
    Lets hope he is either taking some great pix or in the darkroom printing them and will soon share them with us!

I think Galli is the guy that has been skulking around Cape Canaveral lately . . . maybe to stow away on the next moon shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Zeiss Nettar 515
    This camera belonged to my grandfather's brother. His brother gave it to him and it traveled around Europe. Eventually it was put into a draw and forgotten about, until a year or so ago when it was given to me.

Goerz Dagor 180/6,8
    My grandfather was given this lens by his wife's boss, I believe either upon leaving her job or shortly before. It was the only piece of his darkroom equipment that he didn't give away. Story goes that it was an expensive lens but the boss didn't have a need for it, and due to the jammed focus helical (it's from a strut camera, but he didn't know this) was used as an enlarger lens. I bought a Polaroid Press shutter, and mounted the cells in this so it could be used as a proper taking lens.

Dogmar 150/4,5
    Randy sent me this lens shortly before his blindness (from a tumor behind the eyes I think) took hold badly. I've still got it in-barrel as the rear element is jammed and I can't remove it without damage. I'm waiting to cut it out once I have a new shutter for it

Korona 5x4
    This was a gift from Simon Benton, and I had to assemble the camera upon arrival. That was pretty fun. I do love the camera, it sees not as much use now though as the Razzle is my go-to for fast portraits.

Summicron 50/2 coll.
    One of my leica lenses, an old collapsible Summicron was given to me by a member of another forum who lives in Australia. Funnily enough at the time I'd been given a Jupiter-12 in perfect condition, and I wasn't using it, so I sent it to the member in return for the very scratched 'cron. He was happy so was I!

Kodak Ground Camera
    The Half-Plate camera (now swapped and gone) was bought from a guy who saw my ad on evilbay, he said he'd bought it from a camera fair in the hopes of sorting it out for use, but it ended up sitting in a box for years, until he passed it on for me in exchange for money

Vivitar 285 flash
    I was given this by a member of another forum who was moving from UK to NZ, it was a surprise and I hadn't expected it, but it's been my main flash up until buying a metz 45CL1 for slightly more power.

All the rest of my pre-owned stuff has a forgotten history, as the dealers don't usually ask where the camera came from!

Hey Ash, you're the guy I'm looking for. I have half a 150 dogmar languishing in a box in the garage. Yours for postage if you please. Then you can say you got a lens from the infamous J Galli.

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    Has anybody noticed that Jim Galli hasn't intervened in this forum for a while now?
    I wonder where he is.....
    I was up in Oregon for a week with the natty 5X12 No you haven't rid yourselves of me. I've got 11 little petzvals that the LGM's brought me that I need to get cleaned up and posted before the economy collapses entirely and I'm stuck with them.

I got my enlarger and much of my darkroom stuff from a photographer from NY N. Jay Jaffee - it was left to me when he passed away. we worked together on his last show.

I have some circa 1906 negatives from a San Francisco pro photographer, yes, photos showing quake damage in the city.
    What else?
    A rototrim I bought from my pal Roman, & some prints that he gave me.

I remember as a kid traveling with my parents, once we pulled off the road to picnic at a scenic vista. There was a man who my mom said "he looks like he's living in his car, I'm giving him a sandwich."
    Years later I saw a picture of the man & his car....Yup, it was Ansel!
    David Silva
    Modesto, Ca

Years ago, my aunt gave me a Mamiya Standard 23 Press camera that was used by her...first(?) husband during the Vietnam war. She was kinda sketchy about the details but, it was very apparent the camera had seen field duty. It was beat to hell but, still made nice photos. The Crown Graphic that I have been carrying around for the past couple of year, I bought from the son of a retired (and lately deceased) newspaperman. Sometimes I daydream about all of the places it might have been...all of the stories it might have shown...the deadlines met but on whole, I try not to think about it too much. I also have a camera and lens that previously belonged to Ted Harris.