Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And speaking of Karsh...

Re: And speaking of Karsh...

Quote Originally Posted by ASRafferty View Post
    Whattya know... turns out there's a guardian angel watching over you when you decide what to move to a new house and what to pitch... these have been with me through five moves over 25 years, and I'm going to go rediscover them now. The one with Karsh on the cover first.
    Sounds like a good plan. If the article is not too long, maybe it's something you could scan to share with us?
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    Sounds like a good plan. If the article is not too long, maybe it's something you could scan to share with us?
    And therein lies the supreme irony. The magazine was probably 14x17, and the scanner that could handle it -- the Cezanne -- is here, but its dad isn't. I'd have to pay someone to have it scanned, or finally learn how to use the Cezanne!

:::shaking my head::: I think that's gentle chuckling I hear in the breeze.

But that's my deal... you're right that it's worth finding out if someone with the capacity to preserve that publication actually did so, and share where they can be found if I can. Film at 11

I heard/read that after Karsh made the first "safe - normal" portrait of Churchill, he intruded into Winston's personal space and grabbed his ever present cigar away -- and the famous portrait is of Churchill's pissed-off expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I heard/read that after Karsh made the first "safe - normal" portrait of Churchill, he intruded into Winston's personal space and grabbed his ever present cigar away -- and the famous portrait is of Churchill's pissed-off expression.
    And yet when Jill Greenberg does this kind of thing, people think it's somehow unethical.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Other way around.
    Churchill was irritated first then amused that the roaring lion could be tamed. The smiling photo was second. That smiling photo incidently was the photo that Churchill's family preferred
    Regards
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Other way around.
    Churchill was irritated first then amused that the roaring lion could be tamed. The smiling photo was second. That smiling photo incidently was the photo that Churchill's family preferred
    Regards
    Bill
    Here is the Churchill portrait and the story told by Karsh himself.

I have to admit that I am one of those people who until these threads was ignorant of Karsh (although I did recognize some of the photos) and his work has grown on me a lot very quickly. I'll be home in October for a few days, I'm tempted to take a trip to Boston (don't know if there will be time though )

Quote Originally Posted by ASRafferty View Post
    And therein lies the supreme irony. The magazine was probably 14x17, and the scanner that could handle it -- the Cezanne -- is here, but its dad isn't. I'd have to pay someone to have it scanned, or finally learn how to use the Cezanne!

:::shaking my head::: I think that's gentle chuckling I hear in the breeze.

But that's my deal... you're right that it's worth finding out if someone with the capacity to preserve that publication actually did so, and share where they can be found if I can. Film at 11
    Oh, well don't worry about it. I didn't know it was such a large format magazine. I figured it would fit on everybody's home office scanner.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    Oh, well don't worry about it. I didn't know it was such a large format magazine.
    That's exactly what it was! Karsh's photographs were routinely on the cover and in nearly every single issue. Below: Karsh's Einstein, Bertrand Russell, Shaw, Picasso... search "Wisdom Magazine" on eBay to see others.

Karsh was an interesting and complex man who created a persona for his photography business. There is a very fascinating biography, called Portrait in light and shadow : the life of Yousuf Karsh by Maria Tippett. Well worth the read.