Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New dark cloth suggestions

Re: New dark cloth suggestions

I got two pieces of rip stop nylon - one black, one white - and my wife sewed them together. It weighs nothing and folds to the size of a napkin. I made another one with gray nylon instead of white, so I always have a gray card with me. I attach them to the front standard or the rear frame with plastic clothespins with another under the camera. Works great for me.

I'll second the plastic clothes pins! (8x10)

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    I got two pieces of rip stop nylon - one black, one white - and my wife sewed them together. It weighs nothing and folds to the size of a napkin. I made another one with gray nylon instead of white, so I always have a gray card with me. I attach them to the front standard or the rear frame with plastic clothespins with another under the camera. Works great for me.
    Just curious, 'cause I'm still using a bath towel draped over the camera back - what're the dimensions of a dark cloth for 8x10?

Cool Curious too

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    Just curious, 'cause I'm still using a bath towel draped over the camera back - what're the dimensions of a dark cloth for 8x10?
    I have a volunteer standing by to make a dark cloth for me. Dimensons for a 4x5 Zone VI camera? Please?

Next question: How do y'all deal with the gap below the rear standard? Ther is about an inch of bright daylight between the standard and the base. Stuff a sock in it?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I hear that Kevin Saitta makes nice dark cloths ...

I have a Gnass Gear one, a Calumet black & White one and a huge Harrison one that I could sleep under.

My favourite though is my Ebony Weatherproof one with the special hold which acts as a lens shade ...

btw check out the Poll I launched a while back on traditional versus Tube type cloths ...

I made one I am very happy with. I used a layer of black ripstop nylon (the lightweight kind with the grid pattern woven in) and a layer of white. I just sewed around the edge and tacked some places in the middle. Each corner got a little washer for weight. One long edge got half soft velcro and half prickly velcro- you just put the cloth over the rear standard and velcro it tight underneath. This works even better if you make it all prickly velcro on the cloth and put soft velcro on the rear standard.

It's not 100% light tight but it doesn't need to be. The bonuses are that it's cool, waterproof since I sprayed it with watersealant meant for backpacks, and folds up into a package the size of a wallet. Now that I think of it, I should have designed it with a little velcro pocket in one corner so it can fold into itself.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bose View Post
    I hear that Kevin Saitta makes nice dark cloths ...

I have a Gnass Gear one, a Calumet black & White one and a huge Harrison one that I could sleep under.

My favourite though is my Ebony Weatherproof one with the special hold which acts as a lens shade ...

btw check out the Poll I launched a while back on traditional versus Tube type cloths ...
    I like Gnass products such as the film holders. About one year ago I ordered and paid for a Gnass dark cloth. I never received it and they have never responded to my emails. As far as I can tell, they are defunct.

Thanks for all of your feedback and suggestions.

It's great to see all of the ways everyone is dealing with the issue of finding just the right dark cloth, from homemade to high tech.

Anyone specifically using either the original Blackjacket or Hybrid who wants to leave any feedback on their experiences?

The sleeves? I'm not sure, but maybe they make it less claustrophobic?

Funny, how much we all spend on cameras and lenses, but still no perfect dark cloth!

I'm also wondering if people with Technika 4x5's are using the "Right Angle Reflex Finder" instead of a dark cloth? They seem to pop up on eBay and seem like a good idea, but then I like the simplicity of a dark cloth too.

I use a black windbreaker for 5x7 and 8x10. The bottom side goes to camera back and tighten with the string of the windbreaker's waist. The opening for me is adjusted with the zipper.

I always suggested a black t-shirt or jacket in most cases, but I just got a Blackjacket and I like it very much. Finally. But I will probably use my (regular) jacket when I want to go light.