Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New dark cloth suggestions

New dark cloth suggestions

OK. I know this is an age-old question, and there's probably lots of previous threads. But I'm tired of using either my home made, rather clumsy dark cloth or a black t-shirt. And going through old threads can be very time consuming.

I would love to hear if anyone has found a good, modern dark cloth that folds down to a compact size and is easy to use.

From what I gather Blackjacket makes a nice design. I am considering a Hybrid 4x5 for my Technika. I live in a cool climate, and I do a lot of my work inside. Would the regular Blackjacket be cool enough? I like the idea of having a super lightweight, very compact focusing cloth, but if the Hybrid model is a lot more comfortable, than that may be the way to go. Any user feedback?

Any other suggestions or new designs that are available in the USA?

Thanks

Re: New dark cloth suggestions

Dear Arne,

I have a BTZS Focus Hood for my 8X10...

It is very nice, but a bit heavier than I would like, yet very durable.

I bought it here:

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/produ...products_id=32

jim k

LJ Segil

I have the found the Blackjacket Hybrid to be much cooler than a BTZS cloth. I cannot compare it to the regular Blackjacket, but I have been very happy with the hybrid.
    LJS

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    I have the found the Blackjacket Hybrid to be much cooler than a BTZS cloth.

LJS
    I lose five pounds every time I put my head under the BTZS cloth, on a hot summer day...

jim k

You might consider the BTZS cloth (actually "hood") - I've used them for years on everything from 4x5 to 8x10 - in Florida summers no less. Light, compact. I dealt with heat by "unzipping" the velcro and opening up the bottom of the hood, which lets air in and still leaves the ground glass dark enough to see. Maybe the Blackjacket is cooler, I don't know, I never tried one because I didn't want something with arm sleeves.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I never go along well with the Blackjacket I had and currently use a BTZS which I like better. That said I recently put together a lightweight kit based on an Anba Ikeda and was looking for a very light and small darkcloth. I purchased an Ebony Regular Cloth which was just what I was looking for. It weighs approximately nothing and folds down to a tiny package. It's a little bothersome in the wind, but I can deal with that because of its other good qualities.

I am also a fan of the Harrison darkcloths. They are not too heavy and the silver reflective surface is nice in the sun. Hmm, you know how some people are always searching for the perfect camera bag, I may have the same problem with focusing cloths.

I found an inexpensive dark cloth with snaps and weights sewn onto the ends on the Bay. It cost more to ship the thing than the cost of the cloth. It has black on one side and white on the other.

Glenn Mellen

I've tried a handful of dark cloths with my Technika... doubled black t-shirts, BlackJacket (standard), Delta, off-brand tube, and another brand unknown similar to a Delta.

I like the BlackJacket as long as the conditions are extremely calm... it has a better light seal than anything else I've tried. However, I prefer to use black t-shirts if there's a slight breeze... the BJ so prone to wind affect I find myself spending more time keeping it from blocking the viewfinder than composing. The Delta is far too heavy and hot... and too long. On trips I carry both the BlackJacket and black t-shirts.

I have the Calumet blue and white model and have finally come to grips with it after many decades. Put the white side out and the heat is not too bad at all, remember the AA white painted cases? Use some bankers clips so it doesn't blow or slip away. It has lead weights that add weight but they keep it down. Sorry I couldn't come up with something new, I've considered about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    You might consider the BTZS cloth (actually "hood") - I've used them for years on everything from 4x5 to 8x10 - in Florida summers no less. Light, compact. I dealt with heat by "unzipping" the velcro and opening up the bottom of the hood, which lets air in and still leaves the ground glass dark enough to see. Maybe the Blackjacket is cooler, I don't know, I never tried one because I didn't want something with arm sleeves.
    Ditto for my experiences, too. Like Brian, I've used them in Florida summers in the 'glades and mid day in the desert of Utah. I use them in sizes from 4x5 to 14x17, but I buy the next size up. I prefer the hood fit a bit more loosely on the camera. My $.02.

Mike