Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Light question...work OK w/ VC paper?

Re: Cold Light question...work OK w/ VC paper?

Well, Fred Picker didn't believe in multigrade papers until he began to sell them. For him, graded papers were the only way. When I bought a Z-VI stabilized cold-light, it was a good deal cheaper than a color head, and the only other way to get a workable diffusion light source on a 4x5 Omega D-II. It didn't take long to find a way to get good prints, and I've used it successfully with VC papers for many years.

Smile Re: Cold Light question...work OK w/ VC paper?

I use a aristo v54 hi and ilford under lens filters. I Get contrasts from 0 to 5. Also have a zone vI stabalizer and schneider componon s lens. I use oriental select vc cold tone.
    Last edited by robert amsden; 1-Aug-2008 at 15:55. Reason: mistack

It should work, but you may have to fiddle around with it. I used a Zone VI type 1, designed for graded paper, with VC paper and filters for several years. This particular light was very blue. In order to get near the middle of the range of my filter set, I used a 6x6 40Y filter over the negative. With the Ilford filter set under the lens, I was able to get by, but it was cumbersome.

To begin with, it was slow. The light passing through two filters meant I rarely was able to print at f/11 without the exposures getting too long.

Also, the contrast steps were not even. There was little change in contrast with filters 1 through 2 1/2, then a huge jump from 2 1/2 to 3. Again, I think this was due to the color of my head. Check out Steve Anchell's book on variable contrast printing for a good description of how this works. Newer cold lights may work better.

I could see a difference in sharpness between a graded print (no filters) and a VC print with filters. This could have been an inherent property of the papers, but I think it was from using filters under the lens, even though they were clean and kept very close and parallel to the lens ring.

I now use a VC head, and it's a big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Pierce View Post

........ I used a 6x6 40Y filter over the negative. With the Ilford filter set under the lens, I was able to get by, but it was cumbersome.........

Also, the contrast steps were not even. There was little change in contrast with filters 1 through 2 1/2, then a huge jump from 2 1/2 to 3.........

I could see a difference in sharpness between a graded print (no filters) and a VC print with filters.........

I now use a VC head, and it's a big improvement.
    Ed,

I think this is why most people put the yellow filter right under the tubes and not below the negative stage. It is just a little tighter and sharper that way. But it is more cumbersome to remove them when switching to graded papers.

You are very right about the degree of contrast changes. It is spotty at times.
    Very annoying. Which VC head did you switch to?

Allen, I'm now using a Zone VI type 2. It's a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Pierce View Post
    Allen, I'm now using a Zone VI type 2. It's a dream come true.
    Thank you,
    I am down to my last few hundred sheets of graded paper from the fridge and I will go MG when the stock runs dry. New cold light vs getting the diffusion color head? The million dollar question.

Theroretically there is no difference between a diffusion head and a cold light head...both qualify as diffusion light sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    Theroretically there is no difference between a diffusion head and a cold light head...both qualify as diffusion light sources.
    Perhaps in theory, but in practice, at least in my modest darkroom, I see a difference between prints made on my 35mm color Leitz and the cold light on the 4x5. Different rig, different lens etc etc, but they each have a uniqueness of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Perhaps in theory, but in practice, at least in my modest darkroom, I see a difference between prints made on my 35mm color Leitz and the cold light on the 4x5. Different rig, different lens etc etc, but they each have a uniqueness of their own.
    Can you describe this difference?

For example, one might expect a difference because of format. Or, the Leitz may have a sharper lens. Etc.

david goldfarb said this, "The main issue with the older ones for VC paper was that they were too green, so people would add a yellow filter below the light source (I forget how much--on the order of 20-40Y) to start with normal contrast."

I think you meant to say that they were too blue (not too green) that is why the need for the 40y is for. Blue and yellow and Green and magenta are the opposites.

I have an Aristo 4500 two color head that might be for sale.

lee\c