Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Caltar 210mm f6.8

Questions about Caltar 210mm f6.8

I have a Super Graphic; it is my first 4x5 camera. It came with an Optar 135mm. After using it, I always find myself wanting a longer lens. I like the price of the Caltar 210mm 6.8. Please offer your suggestions on this lens (or others) keeping this in mind:

1. Camera must close with lens attached. Will my Super close?

2. Room for movements? I see myself with a maple Chamonix in the near future... I don't want to buy a lens I will quickly outgrow. My photography usually doesn't require many movements but it's good to have them as needed.

3. Lens must be under $300 preferably closer to $200. Please feel free to drop other 210's in this price range.

Thanks for all your help,

Rob

www.robertglieden.com

On a side note: If there are any Chamonix users near Minneapolis please let me know. I'd really like to get a look at one.

Dave Karp

Re: Questions about Caltar 210mm f6.8

I assume that you are talking about the Caltar II-E. This is a private-branded version of the Rodenstock Geronar of the same focal length. It is a multicoated three element lens. It is small and lightweight. If you regularly stop down to f/16 or f/22, it will give very nice sharp images. Chris Perez reported that at wider apertures it is not as sharp as some other lenses: http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/BigMash210.html. My version of the Caltar II-E has given me some nice sharp photos when stopped down as described.

Another alternative in this class is a Schneider 210mm f/6.1 Xenar. Calumet also sold these as the Caltar Pro (if you are looking, make sure that the Caltar Pro you are considering was made in Germany - if not, it is not a Xenar). These are single coated lenses. They are of a Tessar-type design, 4 elements in 3 groups. They are also nice and sharp.

Octogenarian

P.M. sent

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

You can probably get a 210 Caltar II-N 5.6 for that price- I paid just over 2 benjamins for mine on the bay, in like new condition. It's the same lens as a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N costing almost a grand. This lens has a larger image circle than the II-E, and is so sharp that it'll cut your eyeballs looking at the transparencies.
    Brian Vuillemenot

...but, there's no way the Graphic is gonna close with a 210 Sironar-N ( Caltar II-N ) mounted.

I'm pretty sure that it'll close with the 210mm Geronar ( Caltar II-E ) mounted however. The older Crown Graphic certainly does.

I don't know anything about the 210 Caltar but your speeder should close with a 203mm Ektar aboard her
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

YEs, your Super Graphic will close with the Caltar II E. I use one on mine and am very happy with it.

Thanks all - the one I was watching just sold, but that lens sounds about right for me. I'll keep an eye out for more.
    Thanks again,
    Rob

Ron Miller

My Speed closes just fine with a Caltar II 210 attached.

I have and enjoy a Caltar II N. It's a very nice lens and always produces sharp results.

If you want something in the 200 focal length that will allow your graflex to close I would recommend the Ektar 203mm. It's an amazing lens and gets a lot of really good press, just do a search on this site. I would recommend trying to find one in a compur shutter rather than the supermatic. You can usually fine a really nice examples for around $200 - $300. There were a couple of these sold here in the last few weeks.

igorcamera has one in ex/ex+ for $179 but it's in a supermatic shutter. Great deal though.
    http://www.gregoryflanagan.com

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition." - Carl Sagan