Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ries tripod head

Ries tripod head

My friend has the same Ries A250 head that Mike has. My friend swears its Gods gift to tripods....in other words he likes it. He also has an 8x10. The few times I've used it, I too have been impressed. One note on the Bogen 3275. I use one (among others)for my smaller 4x5 camera and I have long felt it is one of the best bargains unknown to view camera users. For me, it has solved one continual problem I had and that was that I often forget to tighten knobs (eg: Bogen 3047) and the camera would do a nosedive. With the 3275 the camera is always locked down. The knobs are tricky and the level is impractical but otherwise I like it. I've never experienced the problems that Ellis has had. It's half the cost of a cheaper ball head. I've often felt that the ball heads are overrated for LF users and way overpriced.

Ries tripod head

Just to be clear about my earlier comments. I shoot a lot of architecture so abs olute levelness is important to me. The amount of creep with the Bogen 3275 was very minor but was annoying. It was still better than almost all other 2-way til t + pan heads I have tried over the past fifteen years. Also I too wish it were availible in the non-quick release version as this is where I feel most of the creep came from. Graf Studioballs I found unacceptable since I had two of their heads pan-bases selfdestruct within a year.

Ries tripod head

You can't beat a Ries !! Simple as that.. I have a A100 with a J250 double tilt. I am on the small size weighing about 110lbs.. but when I lecture to groups on my workshops and chairs are limited.. I set up the tripod and head and sit on it !! What more can I say. GO RIES !

Ries tripod head

PS.. to add to the above, I have never fallen of.. and the Tripod and head don't move either. Kind of think my insurance policy would be void if they did !!

Big Negs Rock!

Ries tripod head

regarding the bogen 3275 tripod head:i understand that it is rated to support 5kg. i'm thinking of buying one for use with my toyo 45A (a 4x5 field camera) which weighs in at 2.8 kg. the heaviest lens i ever use is a nikkor sw 90mm f8, which weighs 0.6kg. this combination leaves 1.6 kg leeway for such items as a 545 metal polaroid back, filters, and a very light-weight compendium hood. i don't know the weight of the 545 back, but it might put me just slightly over the 5kg limit. so should i worry that this head is not recommended for anything larger than medium format? will i get wobble or vibrations? thanks for your help.

mark woods
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Re: Ries tripod head

Go with a Ries double-tilt head. Nothing compares. Forget ball heads for large format. The very idea is silly and reveals a lack of understanding of what is needed. Use the proper tool for the job.