Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Advice Needed - Wide-Open 240 at f/5.6 coverage, Chamonix Rationalization

SF Bay Area 94303

Re: 8x10 Advice Needed - Wide-Open 240 at f/5.6 coverage, Chamonix Rationalization

What about a 250 mm Wide Field Commercial Ektra? F 6.3 wide open. Certainly would cover.

K

Re: 8x10 Advice Needed - Wide-Open 240 at f/5.6 coverage, Chamonix Rationalization

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Frank, I never used one, but I have heard lots of good things about the 250mm f/6.7 Fuji W (single coated).
    Frank...FYI, this is the one with 8x10 coverage. The newer design for the Fuji W 250 that is a f/6.3 has reduced coverage.

Vaughn

Frank, I have a Tenba large Gen-3 bag that holds my 8x10 Chamonix, with four holders (maybe six if I don't carry the thicker, heavy darkcloth) meter, loupe, etc with two lenses. It's definitely carry-on size; I bought it at a trade show booth in Denver and flew home to Michigan with all my new stuff packed inside. It's meant to carry a laptop, but that space I use for the holders. Lenses are G-Clarons - 240 and 305 on boards. It's a tight fit, but nice and compact. I can sling it over my shoulder and walk a little distance with a tripod on my other shoulder. Might be the ticket for your shooting.
    Last edited by Darryl Baird; 19-Jun-2008 at 21:38. Reason: added image

3d Visual Effects artist

Frank, I look forward to your results!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

What you really want is a mint Kodak Masterview with an equally mint 250mm WF Ektar. Fold it up, put it on the airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    What you really want is a mint Kodak Masterview with an equally mint 250mm WF Ektar. Fold it up, put it on the airplane.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...asterview.html
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

hmmm those KMVs are nice... even Jock Sturges uses an Ektar I think...

Seriously I am not that fast and sloppy all the time, I do have time to open up the camera and focus properly, lol. I might even use movements!

The Master View looks very slick and is an obvious camera that was a take off by Phillips/Chamonix/etc. though with the latter being much lighter.

I think a question to consider, also, is how much transparency film you will be shooting vs. b/w and also how much you intend to enlarge or contact the out of camera neg? If mostly b/w and even mostly contacts, the older glass would be just perfect with cost consciousness taken into consideration. They actually even do ok with transparency film and you can always alter the color in post processing to pump up the saturation if you find the color is not rich enough...at least I would assume you can get more color from non-single coated lenses.

I've seen used Tach/Wista/etc. go for $800 and they are a bit lighter than the Master View, but don't quite look to be in the same league if you want to be doing movements that the Master View looks much more capable of.

I'd go with something lighter for $1500 or so on the used market that will get you the feature set of the Chamonix if movements and weight will be considerations.

Maybe I missed the obvious, but why does it have to be 240mm? Wouldn't you get far more coverage from a 300mm lens for your money? I picked up a Schneider 300/5.6, perhaps it would be a worthwhile option for you too?

By the way, I think the Chamonix is the right choice, carting my P2 around is quite a chore -- I certainly wouldn't attempt flying with it.

Ben, a 300mm lens on a 10x8 is equivalent to a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera, while a 240mm is more like a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera, that's a bit of a rough analogy.

Coverage can mean two things, first the angle of view, and secondly the size of the usable image circle.

Ian