Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Places to stop along my I-80 road trip?

Re: Places to stop along my I-80 road trip?

Leadville, and the the Collegiate Peaks south of Leadville (also the Independence Pass area) is one of my favorites; it's a reasonable side trip off of I-80 in Colorado.

When you're in Boulder, be sure to drive up Boulder Canyon to the Peak to Peak highway, and check out the Indian Peaks (for the Grand Tour, take highway 6 out of Golden, continue on the Peak to Peak north to Estes Park, then return to Boulder via US 36).

Also, you'll be passing over the Mississippi between Iowa and Illinois. Just north of I-80 is Port Byron, IL and LeClaire, IA. To the south on the Iowa side is a Corps of Engineers lock and dam that could provide some interesting opportunities.

Out in Nebraska, just past where I-78 bifurcates and heads south, there is a rather nice lake about four or five miles north of I-80. You might want to check that out.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

In illinois, there are many stops along the I & M Canal which runs from La Salle to Chicago. The I & M Corridor parallels I-80. Every town along the way has an afternoon worth of shots at least. Also there are a number of state parks in the Illinois River Valley including Starved Rock that are just off 80. Easy landscapes and nature shots. Starved Rock is also home to many Bald Eagle nests.

Arches and Canyonlands are only 35 miles south of I-70 about 50 miles before you hit Colorado. But you could spend a life time there. Moab has a multitude of Motels and such. You might be able to plan a night there.

Make sure to take a picture of someone crying in the big house in anticipation of yet another drubbing at the hands of the Bucks in November.
    Thanks.
    CW

Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee. - The Yeti

Unhappy Re: Places to stop along my I-80 road trip?

In nebraska between lincoln and omaha on north side of I80 is an old church. Never got to photograph it because no place to park tractor trailer.

Unless you are a control freak, I suggest you stay off the Interstate. You might see something unexpected and serendipitous. Parallel state and federal highways will be nearly as fast.

Smile Re: Places to stop along my I-80 road trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Out in Nebraska, just past where I-78 bifurcates and heads south, there is a rather nice lake about four or five miles north of I-80. You might want to check that out.
    I78 is not in nebraska,its in pa&nj. Nebraska has I80 & short section of I76 that goes to Denver. Drove truck for 11 1/2 years so I know roads.