Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Idea to stop "lounge only" type posters

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Idea to stop "lounge only" type posters

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    As for the lounge, I think it would be a waste of good brainpower to try to "fix" it. It is what it is, and if what it "is" does not appeal to you, don't go there.
    This is a great philosophy for many things in the real world, where we all generally exist. I think I might even consider having this saying tatoo'd on one of my body parts to help remember the difference between 'real world', 'ideal world', and 'fantasy'.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    This is a great philosophy for many things in the real world, where we all generally exist. I think I might even consider having this saying tatoo'd on one of my body parts to help remember the difference between 'real world', 'ideal world', and 'fantasy'.
    I just can imagine where the word "fantasy" is going to be tattoo'd. Ouch!
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

i have no problem with the lounge, at all. my only suggestion would be to not have anyones post, that is posted in the lounge, add to that persons post count. EDIT: nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    It strikes me that at least 50% of the traffic in the lounge is from posters who contribute almost nothing else to this forum except the endless politcal/religious drivel which seems to constitute 95% of what is the "lounge".
    I'm sorry but I don't really see what the issue is. Sure there may be some trolls (this thread might even be seen as a passive form of trolling) but that happens with any online forum. I think the lounge serves its purpose quite well allowing members of this community who have come to know and admire one another to share and discussing things that are not necessarily related to photography. As for the magnitude of the issue... if the lounge was 90% (or even 10%) of the traffic to the forum then it might be an issue. At the moment out of 293 people 3 are browsing the lounge. so 1.02% of the traffic on the forum is the lounge (right now) this hardly seems like an issue to me.

Shame to see this thread disappear, just as we seem to have a resurgence of the largest pack of w***kers on the Lounge forum resurface now.

It's definitely a good idea to hide the Lounge for users only - it would be embarrassing for the rest of the world to see how inbred and spiteful some of the little cretins posting can be. [I'll have to reconfigure for the Exclude option now that I know that's around.

Another vote for doing away with the Lounge. Why feed the troll? It's not a matter of ignoring the forum. Why condone such sick and irrelevant posting by the same bigotted names that keep on resurfacing there? Why is it...the trolls seem to want the lounge to remain?

Oops....feeding the troll. Looks like it's getting the better of us

I think I've had the Lounge on ignore for a year or more now. I don't miss it.

David,

You're a saint!

I guess what riles me after being away for a nice break in the snow is finding out the drivel that goes on in the forum.

Although it's intended, the fact that LF forum permits the lounge, practically condones it. Stating a disqualifier isn't good enough. The views of the most warped being expressed there will still be seen by new members or those who happen to stumble on it, as reflecting the rest of the LF community. Which it is not.

Argh. I know my English teacher taught me never to finish a sentence with 'not'.

Ok - "Which it is not, really."

I put the lounge on ignore, probably a few days after joining the forum. I don't miss it either.

Idea to stop "lounge only" type posters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It strikes me that at least 50% of the traffic in the lounge is from posters who contribute almost nothing else to this forum except the endless politcal/religious drivel which seems to constitute 95% of what is the "lounge". I'd like to offer a suggestion - if the software allows - I have no idea how sophisticated it is - is there any way in limiting persons postings in sub forums like the lounge such that at least 50% of what they post has to be in other forums or they cannot access the lounge? There seem to be a "usual crowd" of forum sloths who really offer little else to this community except their petty political peeves which they obviously cannot find enough friends in real life to share with. It would at least encourage them to participate in the actual purpose of the forum (i.e. sharing info etc related to large format photography) or perhaps to disappear into a more relevant site elsewhere (or they could start their own like www.howsadami.com)...

COMPARE WITH:

Re: Your Real Name (and Date of Birth reminder)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats so silly about it, it is a free website owned by someone who has chose to make what he states is his rules...if you don't like the rules, requirements or requests of the private owner, there is one simple solution, don't participate, period, the argument whether with or without merit has no bearing on the rules or requests of the owner, the person looking at participation is the one in charge, either you do or you don't...seems simple enough.. (By Dave Parker)

FUNNY, HOW PEOPLE CAN FEEL DIFFERENTLY ABOUT THE FREEDOM OF THIS SITE...

Actually for myself, I had little more than looked at the lounge threads until I posted some photos I had shot with the 35mm . . . the moderator moved them to the lounge so I posted there. I figured if 35mm photographs were not dealing in the area of L.F., then any statements dealing outside L.F. would be more appropriately placed there.
    Another factor in my own usage is that it is more restricted to members only & therefore I try to apply that aspect where I feel the topic or statement requires it. I see it as a positive aspect, those (lounge lizards) post would probably come to show up in other areas if they weren't being stated in the the lounge area.