Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iqsmart scanners user experiences

Re: iqsmart scanners user experiences

this was exactly my dilema, i was loaned a phase one p45 and decided to step back from digital capture in favour of a decent scanner, not a day goes by when i'm not thankful for making that decision, just too many if's and but's with the mid format backs for me at the moment.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Doug,
    The only difference (supposedly) between the Cezanne and the Cezanne Elite is speed in batch scanning and some more advanced features in doing copydot scanning. I have found the Cezanne to be fast enough for me in batch mode. I do know that in the Seybold test the Cezanne outperformed the Cezanne Elite in their 4x5 transparency tests.
    I had heard that the Elite had improved optics however I will have to find the link that made that statement. I am shocked that the Elite is worse in transparency scanning because I could have purchased a Cezanne for $1k less. Is the difference significant or anything I should be concerned about coming from a history of Imacon scans?

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by adrian tyler View Post
    i followed ted's advice and got an iqsmart 2 and am very happy with the results, i've compared the scans using the same negs as those i've had scanned at wci (oilmounted tangos)and in my opinion the drymounted iqsmart 2 scans looks better in all respects.

the software is very good in 8 bit mode for both negs and chromes but you don't get too many software options in 16 bit scan mode, which is what i use, but they are sufficient to allow you to capture the entire curve with reasonably accurate colours. i have the "full" version.

i got an ex-demo model with a 10% knock down, but i'd happily get a new one knowing what you can achieve with the thing.

i'm not too sure of the benefits of oilmounting, the kit is expensive, cumbersome and difficult to use and i'm not convinced that the benefits will trully be visible on paper, i'll be able to confirm in a couple of weeks as a friend is loaning me one.
    Aztek has a flatbed Kami mounting demo on their website and it looks pretty easy, most certainly compared to loading a drum.

Congrats on the scanner purchase.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    One of the things about these scanners that interests me is speed of operation and throughput. Being able to lay down a bunch of film, look at previews and select what I want from there without handling the film would be great. That part is available with most any flatbed but not quite the scan quality I'd like from smaller film.

So, for near the same money, I'm balancing a new scanner against a new Canon 1Ds MkIII body. Pitting fine MF and LF optics on film against not very good Canon lenses on the new 21MP sensor.

Now that I've hijacked my own thread, please lets get back to the iqsmart!
    For what it's worth I purchased an Elite was $5500 refurbished with software and 90 day warranty. The non Elite version was $1k less.

no, nothing like the aztek demo i'm afraid, there is a whole hardware "press" type system with the creo wetmount station which comes with a clear glass flatbed instead of the anti newton one.

that said, nothing to prevent you from mounting like the aztek demo onto the newton glass, but you'll have to clean it all off after, being extremely cautious not to damage the surface.

ps, i was convinced that wetmounting would be somehow miraculosly better than the standard drymounting, but i now doubt that idea, unless you have some really beat up film.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by adrian tyler View Post
    no, nothing like the aztek demo i'm afraid, there is a whole hardware "press" type system with the creo wetmount station which comes with a clear glass flatbed instead of the anti newton one.

that said, nothing to prevent you from mounting like the aztek demo onto the newton glass, but you'll have to clean it all off after, being extremely cautious not to damage the surface.

ps, i was convinced that wetmounting would be somehow miraculosly better than the standard drymounting, but i now doubt that idea, unless you have some really beat up film.
    well I will be certainly interested in seeing some results with and without the fluid and look forward to essentially unlimited scanning

The test for wet mount vs. dry mount is to scan the same piece of film both ways, then place the scans on different layers in PhotoShop. Turn the top layer blending to difference, and you should see what areas were captured differently in the scan. There will likely not be any apparent resolution difference, though the wet scanned image might appear to have cleaner (sharper?) edges.

Then you need to consider how your images are being printed. Some printing methods will not be able to take advantage of the slight difference in edges on the scan. If you are going to have the images printed on a sheet-fed press using a stochastic screening method, frequency modulation screening, or screenless printing, then the edge difference could be used for a better print; if, and only if, the files are prepared in pre-press to take advantage of the printing method.

So . . . . basically, as some might have figured out, there is only a subtle difference doing wet mount scans compared to dry mount scans. Given the time, I am inclined to do wet mount scans more often. I recently picked up a Prazio starter kit, and several other supplies, and I expect these things to last through many scans.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio