Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentax Digital Spotmeter ... lifetime ?

Re: Pentax Digital Spotmeter ... lifetime ?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidFisk View Post
    The latest version is updated to include a section on Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere ravines so you can calculate the Coriolis deflection factor.
    The older version of the manual (for the analog meter) advised users not to drop it into ravines, so these calculations weren't necessary. I guess the newer digital meters are more rugged (and ravine-droppable) so this becomes a consideration.

All-in-all, FWIW, my old analog meter still gives dependable and consistent readings.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    "... I am still not sure what the Zone Modification did to these meters though.
    As Jack mentions, it modifies the spectral response of the meter. For more info, here is an article by Alan Ross from Calumet's website -- they still sell them.

A fellow named Paul Butzi has a different viewpoint. And he has a later, follow-up article here.

Makes one wonder. (Scratches head.)

Paul Butzi has a short article on the ZoneVI mod to the Pentaz spotmeter that might help in understanding what it does to the meter and it's function.

http://www.butzi.net/articles/zone%2...worth%20it.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gentile View Post
    ...Calumet's website -- they still sell them...
    I can only find an unmodified Pentax version for $499.99 with a "1-3 week" delivery time. Can you provide a link to where Calumet still offers the modified version? Thanks.

Oops...Sorry Bob I my typing is not real fast.

Photographer

I've had mine since sometime in the 1980s. I've had it checked once and it did not need adjustment. I would say it could be a lifetime purchase depending on your age and how you take care of things.
    Keith Pitman

Collin Orthner

I've owned one for a dozen years with no hiccups. Bought it used and put a new battery in way back - probably about time to start carrying a spare with me.

"My Pentax spotmeter came with a handydandy zone sticker that is placed right next to the moving dials, which I suppose is nice to have to remember which way to turn the dials. Not sure if that's really worth the price"

Well the price for the sticker used to be, and maybe still is, $5 so it's probaby worth the price even if it does nothing more than help protect the finish on the meter. : - ) But actually the purpose of the sticker is two-fold. It gives a rough idea of what shade of gray each zone will produce. And more importantly, it tells you at a glance, with no mental calculations required, on which zone all other EVs in a scene will fall once a particular area of a scene is metered and placed on a zone. Not a huge deal but pretty nice, especially for $5.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I can only find an unmodified Pentax version for $499.99 with a "1-3 week" delivery time. Can you provide a link to where Calumet still offers the modified version? Thanks.
    Hmmm. It appears they no longer carry them. My bad!

IIRC, Rich Ritter used to modify them. He may still do it.

Richard repairs them. He can mdify them, that is he has the parts and the know how but, unfortunately, when Calumet bought Zone Vi they retained the rights to modify the meters. Under that agrement Richard is allowed to repair them but only Calumet can modify them.