Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mac Users - How Much is Enough?

Re: Mac Users - How Much is Enough?

I though that the Beta expired very quickly. Did you purchase a license ?

Dear Ken,

I apologize for the delayed response...

Work has a way of interfering with pleasurable things in life.

The heart of the issue, is the width of the processor channels and the data that will be processed eventually, and not necessarily with this current chip set. 64bit processing channels will be the norm for a while, with 128bit and 256bit channels a few years out. You will also see stacked 64bit processing channels imitating broader 128bit and 256bit channels, where micro switches will stream and split data within existing chip sets, until a true 128bit or 256bit channel is developed within a smaller, yet cooler three to four micron processor.

Resulting from the increased data transmission rates, you will see applications like Photoshop improve with 64bit processing, where you will eventually see the 4gb processing limit expire. Companies like Aztek developed software for their drum scanners that allow 28gb files to be extracted from an 8x10 negative, allowing greater tonal capture. Photoshop will require a few updates with CS3, since I mentioned earlier that the original software was based on OS9, and with a team of well-balanced programmers buried deep within Apple and Adobe, that software will be scalable to accept the wider, more powerful bandwidths as they become available. Many folks will always ask the question why do we need more data, when the output devices are truly limited, and many will argue why should we worry when we can supposedly only recognize 300dpi or less in an image.

For myself, I think that the difference could be the equivalent of a 24X30 image printed with a 35mm negative compared to the same print printed with an 8X10 negative. You can see the difference in the image. I can see the difference between a well managed 4X5 scanned image and a well managed 8X10 scanned image, where the difference in a printed 16X20 image is not as subtle as many would believe. Printers of the future will not be DPI challenged like they are today.

As a side note, IBM announced a few months ago that they developed a processor capable of operating at 500GHz, yes that is 500, which will be placed in their latest servers. Ken, you will not be disappointed with a newer Intel based purchase, where I know I will purchase a new dual quad unit in the fall of 2007 to add to my small existing arsenal. Technology will always find a way to make mundane, tedious processing tasks, a historical event. I will give my new computer a six-month window, where I will begin to believe it is slow...

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I though that the Beta expired very quickly. Did you purchase a license ?
    Only if you use it in a demo mode. If you have a CS2 licence, you needn't pay for CS3 Beta until the final version comes out, but you do have to register in order to receive the working serial number.

Also, as far as I know, the upcoming OS X 10.5 (Leopard) will be 64-bit and so will Photoshop CS3. Now that's going to be fast.

Biggest speed boost I've seen opening/saving huge files is making sure that you are reading/saving from a different physical drive than your scratch disk. Bonus points if neither is your system disk, and if the read/write and scratch drives are on different buses. All should be ATA/SATA, Firewire/USB drives are only suitable for archiving things. Yes this probably means buying a card to support this many drives/buses, although some MDD machines (maybe all?) have both an ATA/66 bus and an ATA/100 bus, and room for four drives.

When I have a bunch of big images to deal with I have a script to save all of the images at half or quarter rez, and I do all the dodge/burn/levels/curves stuff in adjustment layers in these reduced 16-bit files. I then have another script that batch resizes them back to original size, swaps in a clean version of the base file, and then saves out a flattened 8-bit for any retouching work.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Only if you use it in a demo mode. If you have a CS2 licence, you needn't pay for CS3 Beta until the final version comes out, but you do have to register in order to receive the working serial number.
    SOLD ! I upgraded to CS2. Thanks a lot.