Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

Re: View Camera Magazine - What Would You Like To See?

Another 5 year old thread revived.

Well, if you made it upt ot this page, here is my opinion.

1) concerning the Beginner articles:
    I joined the LF less than a year ago and I did went through different webpages, some books (yours too) until I managed to get what it is about. You can add from time to time an article devoted to newcommers, but it would take at least one full year issue to cover the subject. It would be more helpfull to add a few more articles online concerning this topic (I know there are some) - they do not necesarily have to join the printed magazine. I found those artilces nice and helpfull - but there are too few. Or offer these articles as a special edition. This might include some articles on classical Darkroom techniques. If exaple fotos would be included than printed version would be more desirable.

On the other hand just more information what kind of technique was used to get the fotos displayed would be wellcome and should not "tire" the more experienced guys.

2) Digital
    Well - to mention how the techique if going on is fine - but as it was mentioned - in depth artilces on $30.000 gear is of little importance to many of us.
    More on the side of scanning - how to improve results with pedestrian scanners would be wellcome as well as some photoshop tricks - there have been such an articles.

3) Adds - well, the fewer the better, but probably not much to change here.

Overall - thanks for you effort - it is appreciated.

M..

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I read through several pages of this thread today before realizing its age; it all seemed like fairly fresh commentary about recent articles. I guess they seemed recent because I'd seen most of them recently. I often go back through old issues, taking a second or third look, or if I need something from, say, a Kerry Thalmann article about Caltar lenses, I can't help but review the whole issue.

That seems like a pretty good recommendation.

Steve, if you read this, one suggestion; don't tell us the content of future issues long before they arrive. I'd rather be surprised.

Oh, and give Kerry a raise...

In our next issue we have articles on

oops, never mind!

steve

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

One thing I would be interested in is what are the youngsters learning in the various art schools and universities? Who is still teaching traditional large format photography and how are the students taking to it in the new digital age? I'm sure some of those professors do pretty interesting work LF themselves. Names like Sandy Sorlien and Kirk Gittings (to pimp the Forum participants), and Joel Leivick come to mind. I'm sure there are many others working to keep the faith alive.

I'm a big fan of VC magazine and have been reading since 2002. However, the latest issue had nothing of interest to me. That hasn't happened in a long time...

I'd love to see more portfolios with accompanying notes, like the recent Bill Zorn feature...

I normally buy VC myself, but I haven't seen any issues since late September. I think the new one will probably be here in January or so. Believe it or not, it takes even longer to get magazines in the mail here than it does at the bookstore. I haven't even seen the latest issue of New Zealand magazine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    I'm a big fan of VC magazine and have been reading since 2002. However, the latest issue had nothing of interest to me. That hasn't happened in a long time...
    hahaa steve will never win - I thought the latest issue Nov/Dec was the best one in aeons and was heading in the right direction - first one I've decided to buy for ages
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I would love to see someone do an article on the other two Kleeblatt guys besides Heinrich Kühn, or an article on all three. I haven't been able to find much of their work, and I'm trying to imagine what those big gum prints looked like.

Who?

steve simmons