Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Maxwell Screens Ground Glass

Re: Maxwell Screens Ground Glass

Hello
    I have just had a quote from him for my Sinar F2 large format $255 that will be £135 for UK people like me plus shipping. It doesn't seem too bad if its as good as you all say. I'd pay more than that for another second hand lens!
    Jean

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 17-Nov-2006 at 15:01.

I've got Maxwell screens installed in my Mamiya RZ, my Rollei 3.5F and my Linhof Technika. I think they're wonderful and that he's an all round nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lewis View Post
    I fitted a Maxwell screen on my Toho FC 45X and it is a hell of a lot brighter. But I did have a few minor problems when fitting it. The sprung steel clamps on either side of the screen seemed to go into reverse - if that makes any sense - when I tightened them. The screen was slightly loose in the mount. I solved the probelm by padding the sprung steel with very thin foam. Insulation tape would probably do the trick as well.
    Anybody else have a similar problem fitting it to their Toho? Anyway I couldn't do without the screen.
    I didn't encounter your problem with my Toho, but I did partially strip out one screw while I was affixing the Maxwell screen -- that taught me to be much more careful and not overtighten as I screwed in the other screws. This was my fault and nothing to do with the Maxwell screen which has worked great for me.

"I bought one of his screens for my Toyo 45GX. I couldn't believe the difference between his screen and the one that came with the camera. Literally the difference between night and day."

"hogwash"

I've read so many of these comments online that I went ahead and bought one and I just have to say, "it ain't so." I'm hoping that there's something seriously wrong with mine, but I just installed this on my super tech V in place of the groundglass/fresnal combination it had, and nothing - practically no difference. I was hoping for something that would make it so I could actually see through my 58XL with a center filter, or even without, well enough to focus with only the technika pop-up light block. No doing. Seriously, I can't see much of a difference with the 58XL at all. The image is dim, and it's highly directional.

Keep in mind that this screen cost me $289 as of Dec 2006.

I'm sending mine back tomorrow. He has a wide angle version, but I fear they're MUCH more expensive. I'm going to try quality camera for the Ebony Wide Angle Frensel (about $200 less) instead, and will report back.

"Was it difficult to change screens on the Toho?"

Ron, Bill Maxwell said that Toho used two different spacers on their cameras and he needed to know which one mine had before sending me the right kit. I just mailed him the camera and had him install it. The newer cameras may be using only one size spacer now and it may be easy to do it yourself. BTW, I am also very happy with my Maxwell screen.

"hogwash"

"I'm sending mine back tomorrow. He has a wide angle version,"

First, how can you comment on someone else's experience replacing a ground glass? Did you look through his camera with both screens? I didn't think so.

If you had asked Bill Maxwell about which screen to use for the 58 he would have told you that his wide angle model is the one you want. If you did ask him I guess you didn't listen.

However Maxwell's standard screen is a big improvement over the Ebony wide angle screen which is the one that came in my camera. The standard Maxwell is at its best with 90mm and longer lenses but its still better than the Ebony screen with wider lenses, in my direct experience.

I have no particular association with Maxwell and was just reporting my positive experience when starting this thread. I see no reason for anyone to call "hogwash" on something they know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Boyd View Post
    "Was it difficult to change screens on the Toho?"

Ron, Bill Maxwell said that Toho used two different spacers on their cameras and he needed to know which one mine had before sending me the right kit. I just mailed him the camera and had him install it. The newer cameras may be using only one size spacer now and it may be easy to do it yourself. BTW, I am also very happy with my Maxwell screen.
    If the Toho has two different spacers then that would account for the problems I had installing the Maxwell on my Toho. I pointed out to Bill Maxwell that I had a slight problem but got no reply. I imagine he would be very busy with enquiries from all over the world. I was able to work around the problem - but I will follow this up and try and get the other spacers.

I have to say that my experience in using the standard Maxwell screen with my TK45 and a 58mm is very different to Andrew Vincents. I originally thought that I would have to buy the wide angle screen to get the best from this lens, however I have found it very easy to both focus and view the whole screen when using the 58 with the standard Maxwell screen, with or without the centre filter. Furthermore for the first time I found it easy to place ND filters with my F9 lenses in early morning/evening light. Overall I have been thoroughly impressed with the screen. For information I previously used both an original Linhof screen and an Ebony replacement with built in fresnel, neither were nearly as good.

Regards

David Whistance

If I had to pick arguments here, I'd side with Andrew, provided you had a resonably good GG to start with. I had a normal Maxwell fresnel that replaced a normal Ebony fresnel, and while a bit brighter and smoother, it was no more easy to focus because the image just didn't "pop" into focus as it did with the coarser Ebony, so I switched back and sold the Maxwell.

It seems a lot of arguments rest on what's pretty much a matter of taste, like whether you need a center filter. Also, it seems a lot of people are bothered by any graininess in the GG image and the Maxwell is smooth. That said, I have owned cameras with GG over which the Maxwell would be a "night and day" difference, but then so would the Ebony or other quality GG.

Steve