Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Thomas Kincade: Longlasting Prints?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Thomas Kincade: Longlasting Prints?

Kinkade and Kenny G? In Hand-Burnished(tm) particle board? That sounds almost irresistable.

But before you act, here's an exclusive offer so special, it's already kept its haunting fascination forever:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/docs/humo...var/new_yorker

Quote Originally Posted by CXC View Post
    People like crap, get used to it.
    Then I must be doing work of amazing beauty since none of my prints have sold lately...

Quote Originally Posted by chris jordan View Post
    I do remember going into one of his galleries about 12 years ago in Carmel, and receiving the whole sales pitch. They dimmed the lights to show "the glowing feeling" of the print, and can you guess what music was playing at the time? I swear on my grandmother's grave, it was Kenny G.
    This must be a popular sales technique. I was in Fatali's gallery in Henderson and they did the same thing with the sales pitch and the lights. I'm not sure if Kenny G was playing but the words "glow" and "glowing" were used many times.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    Then I must be doing work of amazing beauty since none of my prints have sold lately...
    that's my reasoning too.

I do not believe that Kincade compromised his artistic vision in order to become successful. His vision of the world is informed by some deeply held religious beliefs that I think he expressed quite well in his art. They do seem to resonate quite well with certain audiences in the US, such as evangelical christians.

On the other hand, it is well documented that his business practices are sometimes questionable, as he had to defend several lawsuits. I'd lump into this category the archival quality (or lack thereof) of prints.

I'm relieved to see that his "deeply held religious beliefs" don't get in the way of his questionable business practices.

I can't prove it, but I believe TK did what most of us would consider some more "serious" work early in his career (right out of some real art college?), and consciously opted to change to his later religio-populist style. Actually Bob "Joy Of Painting" Ross followed a similar path, from serious to populist technique, though in his case as a teacher rather than a producer.

As an amateur painter I can afford to be deadly serious (by my own standards) and never repeat myself; yet I don't begrudge these professionals for making a good living and connecting with a large audience by pursuing a different path. Granted it is a path paved with crap...

I don't know about the process he uses, however I recieved one of his prints as a gift in 1991. The colors have not faded to date and the "painting" is still in pristine condition.

You opened it?

Kincade delivered a unique painting product that appealed to ordinary people and his marketing success has made a lot of people very jealous including it seems a lot of other painters and photographers haha. I have no problem whatsoever understanding why ordinary people enjoy his street scene art. As to the longevity of lithographs and other like processes that reproduce relatively inexpensive images of traditional paintings, there are cheap inks with short lifetimes and those that can last over a century. I would guess without knowing any stats that the market for lithographs, seriographs , posters and like processes that reproduce paintings or images is far larger than the fine art photography market. Certainly not because that art is more enjoyable or aesthetic or desirable by the average person but rather because the overwhelming dominance of galleries, mall outlets, museums, interior decoration businesses etc that sell traditional fine art or reproductions. ...David