Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first 4x5 camera

first 4x5 camera

Thanks very much to all who offered advice to me about my first 4x5 camera. I'm still researching the pros and cons of different brands. I've decided to either go really cheap, such as a used Korona or new Tachihara or go to the other end of the spectrum and buy a new (or used if I can find one) Wisner Traditional or Technical. The middle of the road stuff (Wista or Horseman) seems like a mistake to me, unless other's opinions differ. If lenses are so important, I'll probably go for the Tachihara and splurge on a decent lens. My main interest is in shooting polaroids. Currently I use a 35mm Nikon FM2 with bellows for close-up photography (but not exclusively macro work) and then print my slides on a polaroid slide printer and then do transfers or cut the prints up for mounting in collages. 4x5 polaroids really appeal to me because of the size. And wooden field cameras really appeal to me for aesthetic reasons. So there's my real dilemma. A wooden 4x5 which will allow me to do general photography and still do macro work and one which accepts a polaroid back (though I assume they all do these days). I don't even know if I have a question for all of the experts out there. I'm really just looking for feedback to help me make a decision.

Thanks again for the advice received and any forthcoming.

first 4x5 camera

A couple thoughts on your last post: If you will be using only polaroids, (no enlargement) you can ease up on requirements for a high quality lens, mainly make sure it has the coverage, resolution will not likely be an issue. For macro, check for maximum bellows draw you will need. 1:1 with a 150mm lens will need 300mm of bellows. From working with 35mm, you have some idea what focal length(s) you like to use most. Take your time and get what feels and looks comfortable to you. Any well thought out choice you make will be the right one.

first 4x5 camera

IMHO you can't go wrong with the Tachihara. I do strongly suggest a new one. I don't know when they added the nylon washers and the little tab that helps keep the front standard more secure, but also make sure you're buying relatively fresh stock. Those improvements were notable (you can, of course, add the washers easily).

For one thing, not everybody sticks with 4x5. The other thing is, photography you anticipate doing with 4x5 may not come to pass. I've obtained some excellent macro shots with 4x5 but it is hard work with a small aperture, very limited DOF and not the handiest camera for this purpose. This doesn't mean it can't be done.

The other thing is, you really dont' know what you need in a 4x5 until you've used it for some time. Why spend $2000 or more until you have an idea of your needs? There are lots of fine cameras but fortunately, also lots of time to decide once you're in there getting your feet wet.

Good

first 4x5 camera

I'll second some of the favorable comments about the Tachihara. I've been using mine for about two years now and I think it's an excellent camera. It is well constructed and quite solid. I've never had any stability problems. The finish is attractive, it's easy and quick to set up and take down, and best of all it's light. The weight savings with the camera, plus the ability to use a lighter tripod and head, really makes a difference when you're walking. The idea that B&H doesn't carry it because it doesn't meet their standards is, IMHO, BS. I like B&H and buy many things from them but I doubt that they test every product they carry. The only drawback to the camera is the relatively short bellows extension - 13 inches. I got around this by buying a 400mm Fuji telephoto lens which works fine but was somewhat epensive. If you want to do 1-1 macro work you can use the 150mm G Claron lens. It's a good lens but I agree with those who have said that using a 4x5 camera for macro work is perhaps not the best idea - I bought the G Claron for that purpose but found that the additional time and trouble involved aren't justified by any significant increase in quality as compared with medium format macro work (at least for me - others may disagree). I would recommend the Tachihara without reservation. Even if you later decide that you want a Wisner or other similar camera for some reason, you can always keep the Tachihara and use it for camping trips or long hikes. It weighs about half of what the Wisner Traditional and Technicals weigh. Finally, I agree with those who recommend buying it new. If you read "Shutterbug" you see that used prices are all over the place - Del's and I believe KEH recently were advertising used Tachiharas for a higher price than Adorama's new price advertised in the same issue!
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.