Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Critical is Wash Temperature?

multiplex

Re: How Critical is Wash Temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Something tells me that's not the only thing "the picture making guy" put in the creek. Let's just hope he didn't have any apprentices.
    maybe? he was kind of old, his photography was superb

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    City folk must stay up nights imagining what people do in the country. I've lived in the forest almost 40 years and never dumped anything in a creek. Environmentholes are like nuns, everything they fail to understand is a Sin. Decades after lead bullets were banned Condor lead poisoning is still going UP. Someone finally posted a photo of Condors eating Lead Paint off an old Forestry Fire Watchtower. Like the Romans, they think it tastes good. Has anything been done to clean up those toxic sites? Probably not as everyone "knows" the cause is bullets and anyone who says different isn't "sensitive". I live here because I love the environment and I think that's the reason most live in the country.
    This guy stopped by for a visit and posed for pictures for almost 2 hours a month ago.
    Attachment 250104
    not sure about that, that's as much of a generalization is you commented on. in the nearly 40 years I've been selling silver recovery stuff I've heard and seen and read some interesting tidbits about what people believe to be true and what they do in rural, suburban and urban areas .. a person who lived 20 mins away from me advocated dumping KCn in his yard because it came from the earth and was harmless, he also suggested he'd dump LBs of photochemistry ( HQ, Elon, dichromates, KCn and others ) in a hole on his backyard cause he was moving. not sure if he did, but I told him he was an a$$hole for even suggesting he'd do that .
    when I lived in a city I watched some machine shop employee dump a trash can full of green fluid down a street drain ..

You're right, there are people that are ignorant of the consequences of what they are doing, everywhere -- and there are also people that are well-aware of the consequences of what they are doing, everywhere, but just don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    You're right, there are people that are ignorant of the consequences of what they are doing, everywhere -- and there are also people that are well-aware of the consequences of what they are doing, everywhere, but just don't care.
    The thing is, the people who DO know, are never punished for it. But the little kid who pours a cup of film developer down the camp ground sink... gets a really big fine.

I guess some did not hand drill for water near the Boundary Waters in the 1950's

and hand dig a 2 hole outhouse

build a cabin with only a fireplace

Wood heats twice, once by double ended hand saw

Second in fireplace

in MN winter

then we made a sand beach

turtles ate my fish

skated on the lake and we three sons beat each other with hockey sticks

saints are fables
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by monochromeFan View Post
    The thing is, the people who DO know, are never punished for it. But the little kid who pours a cup of film developer down the camp ground sink... gets a really big fine.
    I've seen plenty of jerks get caught. Around here, the big thing is dumping old tires on the side of the road -- when & where they THINK no one is watching. With the ubiquitous video cameras nowadays, more idiots are being nabbed.

multiplex

little kids don't get a fine for making mistakes. depending on the chemistry, there is very little problem with putting developer + stop, in the drain in most places, it's mostly the pH they worry about for that and fixer was recently demoted at the federal level from being one kind waste to just "waste" ... in some rural areas there's already naturally occurring silver and other stuffs in the water, and the Ag from a little spent fixer probably doesn't even match / come close to what might already be there. silver has antibacterial / antibiotic qualities, and probably since they are mostly low level conscientious users of fixer, it's really not tilting the scales much. much of the fixer issue has to do with giant polluters like Eastman Kodak and high volume photo finishers, electroplaters, textile and other manufacturers, not hobby photographers who use 1 shot fix.

that's a different situation than the knucklehead/s I mentioned .. those things they advocated doing what they were doing wasn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    little kids don't get a fine for making mistakes. depending on the chemistry, there is very little problem with putting developer + stop, in the drain in most places, it's mostly the pH they worry about for that and fixer was recently demoted at the federal level from being one kind waste to just "waste" ... in some rural areas there's already naturally occurring silver and other stuffs in the water, and the Ag from a little spent fixer probably doesn't even match / come close to what might already be there. silver has antibacterial / antibiotic qualities, and probably since they are mostly low level conscientious users of fixer, it's really not tilting the scales much. much of the fixer issue has to do with giant polluters like Eastman Kodak and high volume photo finishers, electroplaters, textile and other manufacturers, not hobby photographers who use 1 shot fix.

that's a different situation than the knucklehead/s I mentioned .. those things they advocated doing what they were doing wasn't very good.
    I personally know of alot of "shuold have known but didnt give a shit" people. Not worth getting too far into but, there was a professional painter a few miles down the road. he lived there for 25 years before the bank foreclosed. The new owners were suprised to find almost a hundrend 50 gallon drums of unknown chemicals in the back.

multiplex

I personally know of alot of "shuold have known but didnt give a shit" people. Not worth getting too far into but, there was a professional painter a few miles down the road. he lived there for 25 years before the bank foreclosed. The new owners were suprised to find almost a hundrend 50 gallon drums of unknown chemicals in the back.
    there's a photographer who owns what was lighthouse lab in Australia, Stephen Frizza ( I believe he's still processing Kodachrome for people using his own methods and madness ) .. a dozen or so years ago he posted on ape-hug that he found large quantities of Uranium at a Church and he wanted to use it for toner and he was asking for info regarding the substance ..
    people find all sorts of substances lying around. in college my roommate and I had a rug purchase at a local "good stuff cheep" (building 19 ) and the tag said "made of 100% unknown manmade materials"
    sometimes it worked as a night light too ..

Was there a famous artist

that washed prints in the ocean

?
    Tin Can

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Was there a famous artist

that washed prints in the ocean

?
    Talbot FIXED his calotypes and salt prints in salt water before Hershel learned him about HYPO.