Thread: 12X20 Film Holder Modification

12X20 Film Holder Modification

I recently purchased on Ebay a new 12X20 film holder. I must say that it is nicely made and at a fair price for a new holder.....but it doesn't conform to my Korona 12X20 camera back. The seller did include a diagram of the holder dimensions, so I knew when I purchased the holder I would have to make some modifications both to the holder and my camera back. Thank goodness when I purchased my camera it came with parts for an extra back. Interestingly the T dimensions on the extra back were different by .070" so I was going to have to shim it anyway. The new film holder is +.040" from my Korona film holders also the width of the holder is -.250" . I have cut two 1/8" (.125") thick strips of red oak from a plank that are 3/4" wide and glued them to each side of the film holder. So now the film holder fits the camera back.

I will need to adjust the T depth of my second back by adding 3/16" (.180") thick X 1/4" (.250) wide strips and used them as shims for the ground glass to achieve a T distance that matches my new holder. Yes, I know that seems awfully thick but oddly the second camera back had a really shallow T depth. Maybe the prior owner modified the camera backs T depth for some reason. I will post photos of the camera back when I am finished. There is no way to adjust the film holder's T depth without risk of damaging the film holder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1347[1].jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	250076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1349[1].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	250078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1350[1].jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	250079

Re: 12X20 Film Holder Modification

Back in the early 1900's late 1800's some camera were made with the ground glass in back wards.
    I have run into this quite a few times over the years.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

I could not find a correct film holder when I got my Folmer-Schwing 12x20 camera, I contacted and asked Firestudio to make a couple of film holders according to the camera back measurements.

Of all the formats, I have found the greatest variance to be with the whole plate format and the least with the 8x10 format. Years ago I purchased some 14x17 wooden holders that amazingly had no ribs. A local furniture maker cut up some ironwood ribs for me, and I glued them in place with a minimal amount of very carefully applied Gorilla glue and clamped them overnight. Used the holders for many years and the ribs never came loose.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    Back in the early 1900's late 1800's some camera were made with the ground glass in back wards.
    I have run into this quite a few times over the years.
    As you found on my 8x20 Korona Panoramic View.

And thank you for that. Not certain how much expensive film being out of focus would I have gone through trying to chase that problem…

Richard, that makes sense. I could not imagine a film holder with such a shallow T depth. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone on this forum that made me aware of the differences in film holders and also T depth. I knew buying that holder I was going to have to make adjustments. Same issue with older 11x14 holders. I appreciate everyone’s advice on this forum!