Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Question About Shutters

Re: A Question About Shutters

I'd second Mark's list for repair. First, I'd test and see what speeds the shutter gives you and if the speeds are consistent. It might be good enough as is. I don't think any of my shutters are accurate across their range = even the CLAed ones. For instance, if 1/100 gives you a consistent 1/80 just adjust with the aperture.

A few more thoughts-
    1) There are many more camera repair shops than I listed. I'm no expert on this subject; I've had little repair work done in the last decade, and the 'map' is not static.
    2) Interchanging shutters is a workable idea IF you have the same type of shutter to replace an unrepairable one. Lens shutter sizes are/were no more standardized than bicycle parts used to be... or 35mm camera lens mounts. And adapters can be made, but often cost more than the lens itself.
    3) Few of us are shooting color transparency film any more (where exposure is the most critical). Most b/w and color neg films can tolerate a bit more exposure (from a slightly slower shutter) than the actual marked speed. Can't prove that one but it seems logical enough. As mentioned above, consistency is good.
    4) Millions of successful photographs have been made using shutters of questionable precision even when new (Ilex No. 5, I'm looking at you). I think there are still evaluations of some shutter design on the SK Grimes site (which fine company no longer repairs shutters btw).
    5) Lee Walker at Monument Camera likely has a shutter speed tester. A useful tool... for finding both actual speeds and consistency.
    6) I, at least, am in this for the long haul. A lens I like is worth the workaround or the cost of service. So don't worry, if you find that rare lens with a sticky shutter, grab it and make pictures with it however you can. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good!

You wouldn't drive a classic car without a complete fluid change, adjustments, mechanical check etc, and you are going to shoot a shutter in a variety of conditions (cold/hot/damp/dry etc) and shutter will have been sitting since new and last used by you when???

A shutter overhaul is much cheaper than your last car repair, and should be reliable for decades properly done...

Steve K

You may well start to suffer from GAS (many of us do) and accumulate more and more lenses and their associated shutters. It may not be possible (or economical) to have all of them serviced, and, as Mark points out above, even when new some speeds marked were the very definition of optimism (yes, I've got an Ilex No. 5 too... ).

If you're at all handy it's very easy to make a simple shutter tester. I found this design somewhere on the internet in 2008, it's very simple to make and install in a small box. With today's 'maker' culture it's easy to find the components, and 5V powered laser units (butcher a USB cable) and mounts are available. Using a pen pointer was a bit clunky.

The free program Audacity works great for analysing the 'open time' of the shutter, and is available for most common platforms.

I keep a spreadsheet of the actual speeds for all my old shutters, and just carry a cropped printout (although I do tend to trust very late shutters like the Copals on Nikkor-M and SW - it's not a problem if they are slightly out for B&W).

Here's an image of the original shutter tester PDF:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShutterTester.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	250086

Thanks, Mark and everyone. The responses to this thread have been really helpful and changing my mindset. You're right, I wouldn't look for a vintage car in "new" condition, and that should probably not be the case here either.

I think I'll go ahead and buy one of the old lens/shutters I've been looking at, take it to Lee to test, and then send it out for a CLA if necessary. Mark, thank you for the list of those who service shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    A few more thoughts-

4) Millions of successful photographs have been made using shutters of questionable precision even when new (Ilex No. 5, I'm looking at you). I think there are still evaluations of some shutter design on the SK Grimes site (which fine company no longer repairs shutters btw).
    This is an especially helpful reminder. Thanks, Mark.

There are pretty good shutter-speed tester apps for smart phones. The bare-bones version runs on sound input, but often there is an add-on photo sensor that makes them even more accurate. These are good for all but the fastest shutter speeds (which hardly get used at all with LF cameras - I don't think I've ever made an LF exposure at a higher shutter speed than 1/125; maybe not even that).

I second Carol Flutot and Co. for their excellent work. Usually, you contact them and let them know what you have and what work it needs. Then they will contact you when they are ready for you to send in the shutter so that turn-around time is quicker.

When you have your shutter serviced, ask for a list of the average actual shutter speed for each of the settings. These will come back to you in milliseconds, which you have to convert to fractions to use. Somewhere here or over on Photrio I have posted my chart of shutter speeds in milliseconds to fractions of a second to the nearest 1/3 stop.

I make a sticker with the actual shutter speeds at each setting of all my shutters (older shutters speeds can be very consistent, even if they don't match the setting speed). I mark them in plus or minus 1/3-stops from the marked setting (e.g., 1/60+ would be 1/3 stop different than 1/60). Then I can easily compensate with the aperture.

It's really nice to have a freshly-serviced shutter.

Best,

Doremus

+1 for Carol Flutot. She's done several CLA's for me.