Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calumet C1 - This camera actually scares me...

Re: Calumet C1 - This camera actually scares me...

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    At that point, why not 5x7 -- lots more options -- and even less weight, more film, etc.
    I have a nice 5x7 Gunlach Korona, but it has a funky, small lens board that is not very large and can't accommodate newer lenses. I will probably be stuck with the Kodak 207mm and 121mm wide lenses.

I also have a Whole Plate of the same vintage/brand, but was hoping to not have to cut-down the film with all the additional danger of scratching/fogging the film during the process. Luckily, it's lens board is of sufficient size to take more modern lenses; I just have to make/buy more now.

The downside is neither has the ability to do front tilts or swings and very limited back movements.

Yes, those are the cameras that I spoke of that will probably ride in the F64 backpack now. I was just hoping to get the 8x10 into the field, which has all possible movements.

Of course, I could attempt to sell them all and get one good 8x10 field camera...

Yes, First World problem, I know. Wahh, wahh, wahh!
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Yes, First World problem, I know. Wahh, wahh, wahh!
    We all have (or had) that problem at one time or another -- and some of us more than once -- Stuck in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    We all have (or had) that problem at one time or another -- and some of us more than once -- Stuck in the middle.
    I have a like new black C1 and it is like any piece of large format equipment. It fits into a niche that I continue to find useful. This camera has a couple of unique features that I always appreciate. First the original ground glass is the brightest I have ever used. Not sure it it was acid etched or what, but it is marvelous to use. Secondly, I really like the metal dark cloth support member which makes it easy to work under and the bale back is also nice. Thirdly, I like the stability of the camera when shooting with 24" and 30" lenses. Lastly, the ability to loosen up the side clamps and slide the camera forward or backwards from a static tripod for precision framing macro photography is simply fantastic. It does not go long distances from the truck, but it is a well designed photographic tool for which going to the gym (a requirement for 8x10 and larger LF in ones 60's) is essential. Cheers!

Yes, definitely a bit of a beast. It replaced my wooden 8x10 Burke & James Commercial view in the late 1970s. Initially I thought it was a mistake buying it, but after using it for several months I came to like it over my wooden 8x10 Burke & James Commercial view. I seem to recall that Brett Weston used it for shooting 8x10s???

Yes, Brett Weston used the C-1. So did Cole Weston.

I had one. Like an earlier poster, I got too old for its weight. I do miss looking at the big ground glass...

David