Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question About Shutters

A Question About Shutters

Hi, all. I have been looking at some lenses in older compur, synchro-compur, and other shutters recently. As a potential buyer, a problem that I am often running into is that the shutter lags at slower settings. 1 second might be closer to 1.5 or 2 seconds. A half second might be closer to a full second. Etc.

As someone who has never before purchase an older shutter, how much should this dissuade me from buying a given lens? Is a problem like this indicative of the shutter being inaccurate across all speeds? Or are shutters of this age so frequently experiencing a problem like this that I should go ahead and purchase regardless?

I'm a bit lost here. I've passed on a few lenses I was excited about because the speeds were perceptibly slower than they should have been.

Thanks.

Re: A Question About Shutters

Shutters can be overhauled. Shutters can be tested for consistent speeds.

Yes. Typically the scenario is this: I am buying from an online seller who is willing to send me a video of the shutter firing at one or two speeds. But they may not have the knowhow (or the time) to do any actual testing before I purchase. I'd prefer not to have to send the shutter off for overhauling, but I guess that may just be how it goes with shutters this old. I'd rather buy something that I won't need to immediately send away for a few months though.

I just expect shutters to be inaccurate and figure on a CLA when considering price.

John, where do you typically send old shutters for a CLA and how long is the typical turnaround?

It's worth noting that since no new shutters are being made, it's a good idea to maintain the ones we have.
    I am embarrassed to say that I have two LF lenses/shutters that need service- although they are ones I rarely use (which is one reason they need it).
    That said, clockwork shutters are common and (relatively) simple devices, and any camera repair shop should be able to service them. There are several threads here about repair services; the common attitude is that "no one does this anymore", followed by a list of shops that offer such services. So a search here might help you find one. Here are some not-quite recommendations;

Carol Flutot has a fine reputation among forum members.
    Forum member "Whir-Click" repairs Wollensak (aka Graphex) shutters, at alphaxbetax.com.
    Nippon Photo Clinic in New York is very competent, although I've only sent them Nikon gear.
    Camera Doctor NYC will get my Speed Graphic, once I decide to spend the money.
    Zack's in Rhode Island is a sponsor over on Photrio.
    A friend has mentioned Tempe Camera Repair (although I'm not familiar with them).

Perhaps other forum members will add their own recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    It's worth noting that since no new shutters are being made, it's a good idea to maintain the ones we have.
    This is really the most important consideration. It's not like there are alternatives to buying used shutters. There are certain assumptions you should make when buying a shutter, and high on that list is the assumption that it will require servicing.

Thank you, Mark. This is really helpful. While I have you, is it easy to swap shutters? If I get a lens with a malfunctioning synchro-compur shutter, for example, is it relatively easy to find another shutter that I can swap it for on my own? Forgive my ignorance on the subject of shutters. Still learning!

Quote Originally Posted by AidanAvery View Post
    Thank you, Mark. This is really helpful. While I have you, is it easy to swap shutters? If I get a lens with a malfunctioning synchro-compur shutter, for example, is it relatively easy to find another shutter that I can swap it for on my own? Forgive my ignorance on the subject of shutters. Still learning!
    In my experience, not as easy as I'd like. As j.e.simmons wrote in post #4 above, always plan on having a newly received shutter overhauled. "Newly received" includes replacements. Since that's the case, having a shutter overhauled is usually less expensive than replacing it with one that functions well.

Swapping cells from one shutter to another made to the same standard is easy. Standards? There are several. Compur/Prontor/Copal but within the brands there are exceptions. For other type, like for like.

Although servicing shutters is good, to directly address the question: A shutter that drags at 1/2 or 1 second is not a sign of un-usability or imminent failure. Most clockwork shutters with a full range of speeds have two mechanisms, for timing the fast (usually 1/30 and faster) and slow speeds. It's relatively common for the slow speeds to get a little draggy due to decades of tiny little bits of congealed dust and lube or whatever. A shutter like that may have fast speeds that are fairly accurate, slow speeds between 1/4 and 1/15 that are a little slow, and 1/2 and 1 sec that are way too slow or stick open. Such a shutter needs to be cleaned for best results, but you can use it as long as you're mindful of what the speeds actually are.