Page 126 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126
Results 1,251 to 1,254 of 1254

Thread: Paper negatives

Re: Paper negatives

Thanks, Ned. I'll give it a try at some point.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Thanks, Ned. The prints with the yellow/green filter were fine. The ones with no filter (and the lens closed down a stop), were too contrasty to scan. I only tried because an extra stop of depth-of-field would be welcome. I could try again with less exposure.
    I use Photographer's Formulary Liquidol at 1:3 dilution, 1:30, 72F and it tames the contrast quite well. You get a very warm toned paper negative that is relatively lower in contrast than straight paper developer.

I hear Dektol is about the same when diluted 1:3...
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

Thanks, Kino. Maybe I'll play with dilutions later. I just realized that Ilford makes a thinner paper than I used. That would make it easier to load into the holders. I'll also try using a 480mm lens instead of the 360. The big challenge will be getting people to sit for portraits.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

When I took the 8x10 paper negative photos of Janice, I tried some with a yellow/green filter, and some with no filter. The yellow/green filter prints scanned just fine on a cheap Canon flatbed, but the prints with no filter were too contrasty for the scanner. Today, I finally got my 8x10 film scanner operational. I 'scanned' the paper negatives made with no filter on it using transmitted light. That worked just fine, but....if I showed those images to anyone, I doubt that you'd hear from me again. No filter lead to a massive increase in skin detail and tonal variation. Terrific, perhaps, for the old man of the sea, but not so good for a pretty lady. Yeah, I suspected that would be the case. Anyway, for that format and distance to subject, f/16 on the lens is better than f/11, imo. Basically, with f/11 and focusing on eyelashes, the subject's nose gets quite blurry. I don't mind a little of that, but too much is distracting for me. F/16 was significantly better, with the tip of Janice's nose showing just a hint of softness. Next time, I'm going to give Foma 200 film a try.