Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drone mounted 4x5 ?

Re: drone mounted 4x5 ?

This definitely would have been a technical challenge for the photographer.

In Canada (and I'm sure elsewhere), any drone >250 grams needs a drone pilot license. I believe flight plans need to be filed if one wants to fly in certain areas or over people. We have Basic and Advanced licenses and most of my friends who operate, have advanced.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by ethics_gradient View Post
    Early aerial photographs were generally taken from balloons or in some cases, kites.

Depends on your budget and need for precise framing, but I'd probably use a kite + 3D printed 4x5 with fixed infinity focus.
    that's been on my to do list for ages. tethered mylar hydrogen balloon, fixed focus camera made of black foam core and construction paper, maybe a wind-up egg timer or guts of an rc toy to trigger the shutter. not enough of a masochist to try it with wet plate though when cheap, fast, lightweight film is an option.

There's always this if you have the lift...

https://aeroantique.com/products/cam...hild-with-case
    Silver Photographers Never Die, They're Just Getting Fixed

My Stuff: https://www.tundraware.com/Photography
    Reference Material: https://photoarchive.tundraware.com/

Thanks for all your comments.

For me shooting film over digital is a choice, and any way I can expand how I shoot gives me more freedom and creativity. My purpose with a drone mounted 4x5 would be, getting those hard to reach places of perspective, even just a few feet above my head is enough for a better view.
    I’ve heard of the bucket truck idea before, not a bad idea, except in the wind. A friend did panoramic shots in one.

I’m licensed drone pilot, I do mapping work. Digital is boring to me so I choose film for artistic purposes.
    I’d rather hold a negative and a physical print.

I saw a documentary on RedBullTV on adventure photographer Krystle Wright on what she did to get a photo of Tasmania’s Totem Pole climb shot. She harnessed herself between the two cliffs, suspended out there to get a shot looking down the canyon at the towering point.

A drone could have done such a feat for little to no danger of personal safety.
    That is what I want to achieve.

National Geographic photos;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7061.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	249932
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7060.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	249931