Thread: Adox CMS 20 II: 35mm VS 4x5

Adox CMS 20 II: 35mm VS 4x5

Re: Adox CMS 20 II: 35mm VS 4x5

Thank you
    Tin Can

I can see one advantage of the large format - the built-in coffee and doughnut dispenser!

Similar in some ways to Tech Pan film, although the resolution of Tech Pan through atmospheric haze was unbelievable.

Best looking coffee dispenser I've ever seen, although a forever cup would have been better.

Drew Wiley

To be fair, you'd have to optimize the 4x5 film plane flatness with a vacuum film holder. Skipping over several other pertinent variables, including lens choice, there is also the fact that these very fine grained films (including Tech Pan) actually have quite a few micro-blemishes which show up on textureless areas like skies when enlargement is made from tiny 35mm negs.

It kinda flips the coin over, and makes one ask why even bother with these kinds of film when you're not really improving 4X5 results by using them compared to more conventional film choices. For me, that would even apply to the middle - 120 roll film. The trade-off to merely acquire ultra-fine grain is rarely worth it.