Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: New 75mm Hypergon Lens

Re: New Hypergon 75mm CNC Sample arrived

Quote Originally Posted by rayfor View Post
    It's not easy to mount hypergon on any shutter, even sinar db shutter would block some light when shoting 8x10. It seesm it is necessary to build a unique shutter for this lens to work with high speed film. Or maybe adding ND filters is an easier choice?
    Hmm. I had a similar problem with mounting a 60/14 Perigraphe in front of a shutter. The rear shutter tube blocked the outer section of the cone of rays the lens projected.

The solution? I had SKGrimes cut off an Ilex #3's rear tube. The shutter is now permanently attached to a lens board by three little screws that go through the board and into tapped holes in the back of the shutter.

If an Ilex #3 is still too thick for a Hypergon, use a larger Ilex or Compound. It turned out that the 60/14 Perigraphe's mounting threads mated well enough with an Ilex #3's front tube's standard threading. You may have to attach a Hypergon to a threaded plate that will screw into the chosen shutter's front tube.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: New 75mm Hypergon Lens

Traditionally, some Hypergons were mounted in Volute shutters. Volutes use the same blades for aperture control and the shutter, critical when lens elements are mounted very close together as with the Hypergon.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

One imagines that with the slow emulsions of the early 20th century, and the small aperture of the lens, adding in the increased exposure time necessary using the fan, that a shutter might not really be necessary. But convenient, to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Patric Dahlen View Post
    They look excellent! Just one question: Who owns the rights to the Goerz name these days?
    Should be schneider. They've produced some Artar and Dagor with multicoating in modern shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I'd be a bit concerned that making such faithful copies and putting the Goerz name on them crosses the line into counterfeiting..
    These were just samples. I've not decided the final marks yet. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Hmm. I had a similar problem with mounting a 60/14 Perigraphe in front of a shutter. The rear shutter tube blocked the outer section of the cone of rays the lens projected.

The solution? I had SKGrimes cut off an Ilex #3's rear tube. The shutter is now permanently attached to a lens board by three little screws that go through the board and into tapped holes in the back of the shutter.

If an Ilex #3 is still too thick for a Hypergon, use a larger Ilex or Compound. It turned out that the 60/14 Perigraphe's mounting threads mated well enough with an Ilex #3's front tube's standard threading. You may have to attach a Hypergon to a threaded plate that will screw into the chosen shutter's front tube.
    hypergon75 is not small enough to fit in ilex#5. It's quite a challenge to mount it on any leaf shutter to work with 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Traditionally, some Hypergons were mounted in Volute shutters. Volutes use the same blades for aperture control and the shutter, critical when lens elements are mounted very close together as with the Hypergon.
    The thickness of aperature could strongly affect the vignetting of hypergon. It really matter if you want to use it with full angle of view

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

These were just samples. I've not decided the final marks yet. Any suggestions?
    Maybe just the Hypergon II, as that's what it pretty much is, though I don't know if "Hypergon" is in the public domain.

I'd also consider AR coatings. The wider the angle of view, the more likely there will be a bright light source in view, source flaring away.

But it's your undertaking, so do as you like. I'm impressed you've gotten actual working prototypes!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

If the original Hypergon had a D.R.P. patent (Deutsche Reichs Patent) , then it is in the public domain, because all german pre 1945 patents was voided after 1945.
    Last edited by Per Madsen; 25-Jul-2023 at 00:25. Reason: Spelling error

hypergon75 is not small enough to fit in ilex#5. It's quite a challenge to mount it on any leaf shutter to work with 8x10.
    Too big? The images in the first post in this discussion suggest that this is a mechanical design, not an optical, problem. Make the rear plate smaller. No need to copy Goerz' mechanical design as long as you get the optics right.