Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: How to identify Horseman monorail camera models

Re: How to identify Horseman monorail camera models

Agree

I sometimes set up the 'L' s on opposing sides

Polaroids were blocked by L sometimes, but can be made

Quote Originally Posted by bgh View Post
    I dunno, I'm a right hander I have found the Horseman L to be the most fantastic camera that I've ever used, including the Sinar F, which I got rid of after less than a year. Couldn't stand the thing.

I find the Horseman to be wonderful to work with--remarkably solid, easy to use, with a fantastic range of movements. I use it for my HABS/HAER field projects, so it sees a wide range of work--landscape, architecture, dams, bridges, etc. It folds easily and fits into a rucksack, together with a Tenba case containing six lenses and supporting gear. I can set thing up on my tripod within a minute or so, and changing between bag bellows and accordion bellows takes less than a minute. For a substantial HABS/HAER field job, I don't want to work with anything else. It is heavy, especially in the backpack with the lenses, but absolutely worth it.

Bruce
    Tin Can

I had a 5X7 SINAR P metering back

That damn thing would BITE my fingers

Sold all my SINAR P on this forum and scolded by Bryan for selling too cheap
    Tin Can

I'm getting the feeling there are a lot of people here that don't like Sinar F series.

I just bought one off of eBay f2 I will post my thoughts I've never owned a horseman so I can't compare it but somebody commented it's awkward to use I'll let you know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    I'm getting the feeling there are a lot of people here that don't like Sinar F series.

I just bought one off of eBay f2 I will post my thoughts I've never owned a horseman so I can't compare it but somebody commented it's awkward to use I'll let you know about that.
    Guilty, as charged.

Add me to the list of Horseman lovers, and Sinar f "haters"

It's not that there's anything "wrong" with the Sinar f series, it's just that they're stripped down utilitarian machines that are completely uninspiring. It's like comparing a Toyota Yaris to a Lexus. Will they both get ya where ya wanna go? Yep, but if you have a choice, which one would you choose?

The Sinar f series was made to a price point. Back in the day, this was a viable option for a working pro who needed a second or third body for secondary use, or where there might be more risk of damage (fewer tears shed). A P series camera would set you back several grand, but an f was about 1/4 to 1/3 the price, and shared all the same accessories, so it made practical sense.

There is absolutely nothing "luxury" about a Sinar f series camera. The only geared movement is the rear focusing (front and rear focusing on f2). The rise and fall adjustment is awkward due to the dual post design below the frame. Everything else is basic friction lock and adjustment. It all works, but that's all there really is to say about it.

On the other hand, the Horseman L series feels "luxury". The rise/fall and lateral shift are all geared movements, and feel great. Although they're on the left side, they can be easily actuated with one hand. The geared focus is on the right, so focus is easy to manage for right handers. Swing and tilt are friction lock, but there's ball bearings in there to make it smoooooth as silk. These babies simply ooze luxury.

The Sinar f series is kinda like the Pentax K1000 when comparing to a Horseman L kinda like a Nikon F3. They both take pictures fine.

The good news is that a lot of your Sinar f2 parts can be used on your Horseman after you realize your folly.

Large format camera pricing is all over the map these days, so you're better off looking for a wider range of cameras instead of focusing on just one. There are very good deals to be found on Sinar P's and Normas, Cambos, Horseman, Toyos, Wistas, Linhofs, and many others. I've seen people asking ridiculous prices for Sinar f cameras because of the Sinar name. These are really bottom tier cameras that deserve bottom tier pricing. The good news is that the top tier cameras now cost barely more than the bottom tier stuff, so if you don't limit yourself you'll definitely find a good deal out there.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

At this point, Mike… perhaps your focus should be less on opinions since you made a commitment, and more on what images you’ll make when all of your gear arrives! As with cars and many other things, what works for you is what really counts.

The opinions are not going to change my mind I've already committed to the camera I will judge for myself whether it's for me or not.

I like to hear people's takes opinions on things and I'm just looking for user experience it's not going to sway me because I've already purchased the camera I just want people to step forward and have used this camera and tell me what they like and don't like about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Guilty, as charged.

It's not that there's anything "wrong" with the Sinar f series, it's just that they're stripped down utilitarian machines that are completely uninspiring. It's like comparing a Toyota Yaris to a Lexus. Will they both get ya where ya wanna go? Yep, but if you have a choice, which one would you choose?

The Sinar f series was made to a price point. Back in the day, this was a viable option for a working pro who needed a second or third body for secondary use, or where there might be more risk of damage (fewer tears shed). A P series camera would set you back several grand, but an f was about 1/4 to 1/3 the price, and shared all the same accessories, so it made practical sense.

There is absolutely nothing "luxury" about a Sinar f series camera. The only geared movement is the rear focusing (front and rear focusing on f2). The rise and fall adjustment is awkward due to the dual post design below the frame. Everything else is basic friction lock and adjustment. It all works, but that's all there really is to say about it.

On the other hand, the Horseman L series feels "luxury". The rise/fall and lateral shift are all geared movements, and feel great. Although they're on the left side, they can be easily actuated with one hand. The geared focus is on the right, so focus is easy to manage for right handers. Swing and tilt are friction lock, but there's ball bearings in there to make it smoooooth as silk. These babies simply ooze luxury.

The Sinar f series is kinda like the Pentax K1000 when comparing to a Horseman L kinda like a Nikon F3. They both take pictures fine.

The good news is that a lot of your Sinar f2 parts can be used on your Horseman after you realize your folly.

Large format camera pricing is all over the map these days, so you're better off looking for a wider range of cameras instead of focusing on just one. There are very good deals to be found on Sinar P's and Normas, Cambos, Horseman, Toyos, Wistas, Linhofs, and many others. I've seen people asking ridiculous prices for Sinar f cameras because of the Sinar name. These are really bottom tier cameras that deserve bottom tier pricing. The good news is that the top tier cameras now cost barely more than the bottom tier stuff, so if you don't limit yourself you'll definitely find a good deal out there.
    Absolutely love it love the feedback.

So Sinar F lens boards fit Horseman L Cameras ? So why are these two cameras so interchangeable with each other when they're completely separate companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    So Sinar F lens boards fit Horseman L Cameras ? So why are these two cameras so interchangeable with each other when they're completely separate companies?
    Many companies, not just Horseman, have chosen the Sinar lensboard type for their bigger view cameras. Similarly, many smaller view cameras from various companies accept Technika lensboards. There's an obvious benefit to the user from having boards interchangeable across camera brands rather than having every brand use a proprietary board.

Realized this verbiage is destructive, non-constructive, mis-leading_mis-information, deceptive and more rooted in tribalism. Taking sides while myopically blind is key to life in one's personal Golden Skinner Box.

~Stop It..
    Remember this:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ar-Norma-(4x5)

This was your post from July 25, 2021:
    "Your "first" 4x5 camera should be one that actually works properly. These esoteric discussions about the perfect classic camera are not very useful for practical purposes. Unless you're extremely lucky, an old camera is likely to be full of pinholes in the bellows, and will have some minor to major mechanical issues. If you know what to look for, and how to repair it, then fine and dandy. If not, you could be in for a very expensive and frustrating experience.

Sinars were extremely popular in their day, but that day has long gone. If you go to the B&H website and type in a search for Sinar, you'll get 10 items, all of them third party adapters. Good luck finding a new Sinar bellows. Sure, you can get a new bellows from England, or China, but you might have to put it on the frames yourself, or send the old frames to the supplier. Expect to pay at least $300, and wait a few months, in order to get someone else to do the whole thing. If you're handy, you could also build a bellows yourself, or spend time learning and doing your own repairs. That's great if you like to do it, but not so great if you don't.

If you're a beginner anxious to get started in large format, then there are two reasonable options. One option is to buy something new. Intrepid and Standard Cameras are two inexpensive versions, and there are a few expensive options from Chamonix and others. A second option is to buy a used outfit from a "reliable and trustworthy" seller who can guarantee that the camera, lens, and accessories are in proper working order. Like for everything, there's no free lunch."

~~Much Verbiage later, post# 56:

"O.K., I have to admit I've been completely wrong on this issue. i sincerely bow to your superior knowledge and sage advice.

There's no question that Sinars truly are virtually indestructible. Possibly even anointed by a higher being.

So, head on over to eBay or Google and snap up your own Norma for $250 (or preferably less).

What could possibly go wrong? Nothing, apparently.

Silly me. I'm hoping it was just a temporary lapse of reason. "

Now, you're wanting to repeat this total waste of verbiage and all, If there is any constructive, helpful, useful, resourceful that can be added, share them properly. Otherwise, it is no more than combative and extremely destructive Tribalism with zero "winners".. And life and living is zero about winning..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Guilty, as charged.