Thread: Sinar Shutter "sticky" with Auto Aperture cable

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Sinar Shutter "sticky" with Auto Aperture cable

Hello Sinar experts!

I mounted and adjusted my chrome Auto Aperture cable onto my Norma 4x5 back according to instructions I found in a manual, and the green Norma-era shutter closes fully when I insert the film holder. However, when I remove the holder, the shutter reopens slowly, and even then sometimes only partially.

I'm guessing this is because of an old spring in the shutter that is no longer able to return that cable plunger back, and that the only solution is a CLA. Does that sound about right?

Also, there isn't any lubrication of the cable and/or the slide within the film holder/back that might help, is there?

Thanks!

Re: Sinar Shutter "sticky" with Auto Aperture cable

[QUOTE=Exploring Large Format;1591069]I'm guessing this is because of an old spring in the shutter that is no longer able to return that cable plunger back, and that the only solution is a CLA. Does that sound about right? Also, there isn't any lubrication of the cable and/or the slide within the film holder/back that might help, is there?/QUOTE]

Most likely you are right, it's a tired spring. Did you get your shutter CLA'ed? I have four now (could use one more) and they all needed cleaning. This last one had a very worn escapement mechanism I was warned not to force it too quickly when changing the escapement speeds, and it should last a long time as it is. My Norma Shutter repair Guy told me recently he has Norma Shutter parts. I leave shutter repairs to the repair Guys. And of course you know that the circular knurled ring adjusts the depth of the cable into the shutter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-N-Roll...53.m1438.l2649

This stuff works great on the Norma Shutter Releases, I lubed six or seven of mine, and it helps! Should work on your Auto Aperture Cable too. One more thing, the repair guy says the old silver cables can stretch over time, while the modern black ones don't. Most of my
    release cables are too stretched to work with Norma Shutters without some help from me. But they fit my Plaubel Makiflexes without issue
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Re: Sinar Shutter "sticky" with Auto Aperture cable

Thanks, Daniel! Helpful confirmation. Yes, I did figure out the adjustment, and I'll give that lube a try.

Care to share contact info for your repair guy?

Best!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk