Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gitzo 1345?

gitzo 1345?

Anyone using one of these? (This is the model without the center column.) I want to use it with a Gitzo 1570 head for 4x5. I am not sure I want to spend the extra money for the carbon - the weight does not bother me, it probably helps stablize the tripod by making cut farther through through the grass into the ground. I want something that folds up fairly short for travel. Does having four sections affect the stability for loads under 14 pounds (1570 + technika + Fuji 400 tele + Linhof finder is the heaviest I use.)

gitzo 1345?

Hi Ed R,

I have a 1570 head ( magnesium ). It flexes quite a bit with things that weigh in at less than 14 lbs ( longer lenses on 35mm ), however at least since it is low, it puts less demand on the tripod. Depends a lot on how long the overall rig is when extended. If you have something that can put a lot of leverage on the head, you might need a different head. For short, balanced loads, the 1570 is nice, but somehow, it always seems like its controls are not in the right place. If you don't have one already, you might want to try it out a bit before you buy it. No comments on the tripod, I don't have that model. I find that the Manfrotto 3221W is a good match for the head because the head flexes sooner than the pod, however specs say that it only holds 13.2 pounds. The 3221 does come with a short center column.

I can flex the 1570 head by itself with my bare hands. It does seem that what you picked is correct in terms of specs, both are matched.

gitzo 1345?

I have the 1370 low profile head on a 1348 tripod. Not exactly what you're looking at, but perhaps close enough. I also have a 410 metal tripod, which is considerably heavier that the carbon fiber tripod. Perhaps because of my age, the weight is an issue. I was surpriesd to learn that the heavier tripod was seldom an issue in stability. The exception seems to be in tundra or tussocky grass. One can always hang some gear from the center of the tripod if additional weight is required. I have not noticed any flexing of the tripod due to four legs with the camera that I use (Linhof TK45; heaviest lense is perhaps the Fuji 600T).

I have had no problem with flexing in this lighter head. I do use a Bogen long lens support to stabilize the camera when using my 600 T or my 360 APO Artar. Without this, the camera is susceptible to minor vibration. It seems unreasonable to expect any tripod/head combination to provide stability when the camera is extended 360 mm or more and supported near only one end. I have to admit that I have not tested the Linhof macro rail, which may be a valid alternative.

Hope that this has been of some help.

gitzo 1345?

I don't own and never used a 1345 so take this for what ever it is worth. Many years ago I bought an early model1228. It would fit into a suitcase with the head attached. Perfect for airline travel, I thought. Evertime I had to extend that extra section of legs it slowed me down and made me nuts. I would look at the skinny little bottom section and could not believe that they could be as stable as a #1227.

Now you can't have locked luggage on a plane so any size tripod will fit in a duffel. Unless you really need four sections for backpacking I would reconsider your choice.

gitzo 1345?

> I have a 1570 head ( magnesium ). It flexes quite a bit with things that weigh in at less than 14 lbs

That does not sound good. I figured with the long plate it would also support the bed of my Technika, but if it is not rigid, that does not help much. My Bogen 3047 is perfectly rigid, just tall and heavy.

> I was surprised to learn that the heavier tripod was seldom an issue in stability. The exception seems to be in tundra or tussocky grass.

No tundra for me, but tussocky grass all the time. Hanging gear is not an attractive option - the ground is often nasty, and if it not resting on the ground, the pendulum effect reduces the stability. I smack it down to get the spikes to bite through and get some purchase.

> Every time I had to extend that extra section of legs it slowed me down and made me nuts.

I think about this as well - I use a Bogen 3046, which a surveyor's style tripod with one section - I just loosen one thumb screw on the each leg, the single section drops, and I am ready to go. Nothing could set up faster, but it is huge to carry - with the head and the leveling base I use, it is more than 38 inches long, closed, and about 16 pounds.

Like many of you, there is no camera store in the state which stocks anything, including tripods, for LF. Makes it really frustrating to try to buy gear like a tripod.

gitzo 1345?

Hi Ed.

I use a Gitzo1345 and Gitzo1340 with Gotzo 1370M Low Prifile Head and the extended platform Head.

I have had no problems with stability either with the Sinar 5X4 or the Sinar 10X 8. I use them in diverse conditions, I am well satisfied.

gitzo 1345?

Thanks Stan! Anything that will support 10x8 is plenty for my needs.

> extended platform Head.

Is that the 1570?

gitzo 1345?

Ed,

When I want medium to low weight, fast setup, and enough rigidity to support an 8x10 Deardorff with a 450mm on it, I use a wooden Berlebach tripod with a 1/2" high Velbon or other video head clamping quick release and no head other than the built-in ball socket. Instant setup, plenty rigid, and not too heavy for what it can do. Not good for pointing straight down or up, but perfect for quick leveling and landscape/cityscape shots. The quality of their pods for the modest amount of money is pretty impressive, and the ball level is low enough to put very little stress on the pod.

Berlebach

gitzo 1345?

Ed K,

My problem is that I have a small car with a small trunk, so I am looking for a shorter tripod. I use my 3046 much the same way you do - I have a leveling ball and 90% of the time I just use it to level the head and I leave the tripod head alone. Each time I think I could just dump the head, something pops up that I need to shoot up or down to, and so I leave the head on.:-)

gitzo 1345?

Ed R,

You're probably on the right track already.

Just for fun - a couple more thoughts - I do find that keeping some of the new "kids pillows" from Sears is very handy - little tiny beads in them form a perfect bean bag. They weigh almost nothing, and I get tack sharp shots with a 1200mm on my Dorf with them. I use a rock, my truck or whatever to support the camera. Not good for shooting down, but more ridgid than any tripod when one uses two of them, and quck to set up and level. The larger of the little bags will support a "straight up" cathedral dome type shot perhaps better than anything else on the planet. So, sometimes, I "gear down" on the pod to suit normal and wide lenses with low weight, and then take some bags with me for a long shot or two. The pillow bags double as pads to keep things from not banging around in the back of the car or truck.

For my "walk around" rig - I use a Toyo CF 4x5 also with a Linhof finder and a Toyo rubber monocular at times, either the mag head you mention or a Gizo ball head, and the shortest little Gitzo carbon fiber legs, which are very short, very light, and very ridgid as long as one refrains from using the last extension in windy conditions. The first two sections are remarkable in ridgidity, and the cost of the little jewel is a bit much but worth it. I can carry the whole rig around with ease and shoot to my hearts content. Also, I have a side bag that we made that holds a Quickload film holder in one slim pocket, and it has two pockets for ' loads - one for exposed, one for not exposed. I can shoot handheld if I want or use the pod, and load film without fiddling over "exposed" tabs, a film box, or clamping a the film holder between my knees while I change the rig. I can shoot as fast as an archer with a quiver of arrows if I want.

I don't think I'd do 14 lbs on the littlest fiber pod though, but it might do fine for your Linhof sans telephoto, however I find having a range of "iron" is really the way to go - take either the lightest possible, or the heaviest one can anticipate being willing to heft, leave the rest of it at home, and then make the best of what one has.

The upside of my "walkaround" rig is that it is light and low cost, plus suitable for travels on foot or by car. The downside is that "knowing" photographers will spot me using a cheapo camera and laugh at me...no class like your Linhof has! Where I save on weight and size, I boost up my lens choice, as I often use a fast 90mm on my "walkaround".