Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Name Your Tip

Name Your Tip

I think this ought to be a feature of the site, to which tips could be added over time.

Name Your Tip

... with accompanying illustrations where available.

Name Your Tip

I carry a space blanket in my photo pack. It is quite compact folded up. I spread it out to set my pack on in mud, sand, snow and water. If I ever get stuck in a bad spot and cold weather, I won't freeze to death either.

Name Your Tip

Wrap your metal tripod legs in gaffers tape. Protects your hands from the cold, holds up better than pipe insulation, and if you ever need a piece of tape to hold something you have a ready supply.

Just today I could have used a small piece, but I hadn't wrapped the new tripod yet, as I didn't think I would need it on the CF legs. I didn't to keep my hands warm, but I missed my tape supply.

Name Your Tip

Best lubrication for field camera knobs? Pedros Ice Wax for bicycle chains. Dry's like a semi-soft wax and doesn't collect grime. One small bottle will last you two reincarnations.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Name Your Tip

A lot of us use a #90 Wratten filter to preview our shots in black and white. If you are lucky you can find an actual filter in the junk bin at your no longer in business camera store. The Zone vi ones on that auction site seemed a little too pricey for me. I ended buying a gel filter which is not really made to be handled. I took it the local Office Max/Depot and had it laminated. It ended up being wavy from the heat, but it does the job. I punched a hole and put it on an id necklace and wear it when I go shooting. Alternately you could purchase one of those plastic single sport holder and use that as the holder.

My final tip is to make sure you pull the darkslide closest to the lens and not the one in the back. ;>)

Eric
    Dad, why is the lens cap on?

Name Your Tip

If the dark cloth is too much to carry or it is flaping too much in the wind: pull jacket over your head, slip neck opening over gg/camera back and pull up the top runner of zipper so it fits snugly and tight over camera rear standard. Stand back from camera at proper distance to compose and focus, and adjust lower runner of zipper. Your arms should now be out of the sleeves, get to cameras controls through the armpit (unzipped) openings. Have loupe ready in pant pocket for easy grab. Try it, you'll like it.

Name Your Tip

Ron LaMarsh,

Sons of The Pioneers are pretty good as is Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys. Trouble is they are a little too much should the cd gets stuck and you have to listen to the same cd over and over again, like between Penticton and Las Lunas. I guess that won't happen with cds, but Billy Joel got stuck n my tape deck from 1987-1992 (ugh!!) so I'm a bit gun shy about my tunes.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Name Your Tip

For a darkcloth I do something similar to some tips above. I use a black cotton/poly sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off and the arm holes stitched up. Instead of attaching it to the camera and putting my head inside to focus I find it easier to wear it: I put my head through the neck hole and let the body just rest on my shoulders. When I want to compose/focus I lift the body over my head and drape it over the camera back. I thought of cutting the sleeves short to allow me to put a hand inside with a lupe but I find that the bit of light that gets in from below along with my hand is not a bother. One of these days I'm going to add a drawstring to the waist to tighten it up a bit. Also, for keeping 4" gel filters organized nothing beats the wallet-style cases and padded sleeves intended for CDs. njb

Name Your Tip

I second the "framer" card, although I prefer to use the same white board I mat my prints with. I find the white mat makes it is easier to visualize the image as a print on my wall. Charlie Cramer gave my first one years ago. I suppose I should have saved it! LOL.

I now cut my own out of the waste stock from 8x10 windows. The cards have become so much a part of the way I isolate images that I really feel lost without one and it is the first thing I give students in my workshops. No need to haul out the camera. This one is autofocus with a full-range zoom, and needs no batteries.

And I think you all probably know my darkcloth preferences for dealing with wind. ;-)