Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help With Cokin Filters...Or Filters In General

Re: Help With Cokin Filters...Or Filters In General

I have lots of lenses and they all have different filter sizes. I standardized on the largest, 77mm, and got step up rings (the smallest is 40.5mm) for all the rest. All of my round glass filters are 77mm. My Cokin system has a 77mm adapter. So I have a set of frequently used 77mm glass filters, and a set of Cokin P filters adapted to 77mm. Not too complicated.

Interesting, doesn't seem as bad as I am thinking. Thanks again for the information.
    Maybe I just grab some 77mm filters for now and a step up ring from 67 to 77. Hmm.

Oh, I guess this is part of the pros/cons. With circular screw on filters you lose the ability to use graduated filters. So for landscape stuff (most of what I will be shooting in NZ) the Cokin setup is kinda nice.
    Ugh...maybe I just need to decide. Maybe the problem is me. **thinks to one's self**

It's not an "either or", fork-in-the-road situation. One of the reasons I use the Cokin system is for the graduated filters. That's why I have both round filters and Cokin filters. But I don't have any filters that are the same in either set.

And if 67mm is your widest lens, there may not be a point in moving up to 77mm.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    It's not an "either or", fork-in-the-road situation. One of the reasons I use the Cokin system is for the graduated filters. That's why I have both round filters and Cokin filters. But I don't have any filters that are the same in either set.

And if 67mm is your widest lens, there may not be a point in moving up to 77mm.
    Ahh, thanks. My widest lens is 77mm.

And I understand there is value to having both. I think I eventually will. What I need to decide on is what system to I dive into for now that will get me by.
    That way I can get the holder/step up rings I need and start looking on eBay for filters (B+W, Formatt, Lee, Singh Ray, Schneider all seem to be fine).

My gut reaction is to get a yellow, orange, ND (light), ND (dark), and maybe a polarizer. A polarizer can be used with color or b&w?? And for cutting down reflections and such?

That sounds like a fine starting set-up. All those are in mine, but because I use those a lot, I have them all in round glass. As to which brand(s) to choose, you'll get a million opinions. Many of mine are Hoya multi-coated, but I have lots of others, as well, from Minolta to B+H. Since 77mm round glass is not cheap, you can save a lot by buying used.

And yes, a polarizer is fine in B&W or color.

Ugh. I still haven't made up my damn mind. I think I am just going to spring for the Cokin system. One of em...I think P system or Z-Pro (supposedly the holder is much better and stays on/etc.) is what I need. That and some filters.
    Since it's the 11th hour (sort of...we leave in 3 1/2 weeks) I will just get some stuff off eBay and be done with it haha.

Thanks again for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post

Anyone have recommendations on the filters you wouldn't leave home without? Orange, Yellow, NDs? Maybe a polarizer? Is a polarizer even a think for rectangle filters like this? Don't you have to rotate two pieces independent of each other to get the affect needed?
    As you can see, I am not extremely versed on filters in general.

Thanks.

Austin, here you go. https://www.amazon.com/Cokin-P164-Ci.../dp/B0006ZSR40

If you want one I would look at Ebay for a used one and save some money. I think it just slides into their holder. Yes, it's two pieces of glass. One spins to get the effect you want. I used to use Cokin filters for 35mm but I had a regular polarizer. A polarizer is one filter that I won't be without even if I shoot digital.

I'd look at Ebay for a used one and save some money. I think it just slides into their holder. Yes, it's two pieces of glass. One spins to get the effect you want. I used to use Cokin filters for 35mm but I had a regular polarizer. A polarizer is one filter that I won't be without even if I shoot digital.

Here are some color filter examples for b&w. http://www.photographymad.com/pages/...te-photography

ND's are great for when you need them. Graduated ND's can come in handy too. I like a slight soft focus filter sometimes for when I want to soften a portrait a little. /QUOTE]