Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fast, Candid, and Intimate LF Photography

Fast, Candid, and Intimate LF Photography

JJ, if you include shipping I am actually paying about $1.20 a bulb. So far I have acquired over 600 bulbs. I hope to get between 2000 to 4000 bulbs, maybe more. I intend to be working with four different bulbs types. I will be generating a number of different guide numbers for various lighting conditions and film speeds for each bulb type using my flash meter. I will be using either TMX 100 or TMX 400 depending on the lighting requirements..

I will be doing this project with my wife. She does the writing, and I do the shooting. We intend to actually move into the towns and stay a while. Perhaps a month or so to get to know the towns people and their politics. Wedding photography has taught me how to get along with all walks of life. I have done gang weddings, biker weddings with tattoos and bare breasted women, and those who have accumulated extreme wealth. It takes me about three seconds to disarm a person and make them feel perfect just the way they are. This type of project will be a great fit for me.

Brian your points are well noted. Absolutely!

Wayne, I am not sure what I want from this or even what I am after to be truthful with you. I can assure you as I go through this process things will change, I will change, and a new theme will emerge. I will then most likely have to revisit many of these communities as things evolve and become clearer. My wife wants to do a book. I on the other hand, simply want to enjoy the people and record the fabric of their lives with my new Crown Graphic. There is a need for me to be fast, candid, and intimate with these people. I hope that my dialog with my Crown Graphic will get me there.

NK, thank you. Your advice is excellent.

JJ, if you include shipping I am actually paying about $1.20 a bulb. So far I have acquired over 600 bulbs. I hope to get between 2000 to 4000 bulbs, maybe more. I intend to be working with four different bulbs types. I will be generating a number of different guide numbers for various lighting conditions and film speeds for each bulb type using my flash meter. I will be using either TMX 100 or TMX 400 depending on the lighting requirements..

I've at least that many, too, but because I'm an Olde Pharte and should have been throwing things away.

There's a couple I know, Drake Hokanson and Carol Kratz, who make long road trips to record a certain theme in the USA; he does the photography and his wife is a writer, helps with the writing, editing, traveling, sharing the work of being on the road. Drake's is a highly focused interest that takes decades to make a body of work. Maybe your paths will cross one day and you can speak to him.

Regarding using a flash meter to determine bulb flash - go for it. I have never read a proof that it does not work (with the correct meter) - all I've read is impressionistic opinions. Maybe you can settle the matter with your research.

I would like to acknowledge everyone's contribution. That is JJ, Bill, Alec, John K., David, Brian, Wayne, Mick, Donald, and NK. Thank you. You all have been most helpful.

Muttley

Steven,

So your the !@#$%%^& guy who keeps jackin up the price of bulbs!!! Cut it out!! Your killing us, man!!

Just kidding of course. Bulbs are a blast and you will have fun.

Paul