Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bausch and Lomb 12" brass lens

Re: Bausch and Lomb 12" brass lens

Arkady, I use many sources. Here's a link to the list: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=file%2cdocx

To the best of my knowledge there are no reliable serial number lists for B&L, Ilex and Wollensak lenses. None.

Dan, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    You can also make washer stops that simply go inside the lens. That way you don't have to cut it.
    Kent, what do you mean? How would I get the washers inside the lens without cutting it?

Washer stops were used in two ways.

The first way was in front of the front lens. There was a kind of pill box, built into a brass cap. The separate washers were held in place by a well fitting ring or split ring. These were quite common in the early years, but many, these days, have lost this attachment.The second way, used just before the Waterhouse revolution, was to split the barrel (Screw thread or a bayonnet system) and place the loose washers in a central support. Again, it is rare to find lenses that still have this system. THis idea was extended for some makers (French) who supplied modifying lenses that could be place in this position.

I think he means the first as this is quite easy to do - cardboard will suffice - whilst the second is a a job for Grimes!

Steven, thank you for the explanation.