Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

Re: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Leica stuff is a bit of its own mystery, though. It's like Rolex watches, whose collectors have lost their minds.
    Can you blame the Rolex freaks? From everyone they ask the time, the answer is different!

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    how much something is worth depends on whether or not jim gali has a write up of it on his website.
    This is actually a good point. A couple of years ago I wrote a blog post about a certain Nikkor lens, and one that had never been looked at or reviewed by Ken Rockwell. I suddenly got tons of hits on my blog - like 5x the normal number - all on that one post. A little bit later the prices spiked on eBay 50-75%. I didn't intend for it, but I happened to have an extra one so I sold it on eBay for double what I paid.

Watch prices on vintage lenses/cameras when a well-known reviewer or blogger writes a piece about it.

I have also noticed the spike in Pentax 67 gear. Funny thing is I sold all of my P67 gear to fund my 4x5 stuff last time it hit a spike, and then bought it all back last year for 30-50 cents on the dollar that I sold it for. I'm holding onto it, this time.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Sheesh! LFPF is a poor venue for selling equipment. It doesn't reach enough potential buyers. If you're trying to sell here you have to accept that unless you offer desirable items at relatively low prices you'll make few sales.

Fair market value has a meaning, and sellers (that's you) don't get to set it. It is what items usually sell for in markets with many sellers and buyers. eBay, for example.

I think you're looking for rich suckers here and not finding them. Fancy that.

I agree totally with Dan. LF forum is not the best place to sell most photographic equipment, even large format stuff. The best place as a seller to get close to fair market price is ebay. If you sell here the number of potential buyers is far less than you would see on ebay. In many cases I have offered equipment for sale here for a week or so with no buyer, then sold it on ebay for 25% or more than the offering price on the LF forum.

So I would suggest that if you really expect to sell equipment here you should research actual selling price on ebay and offer it for sale here for less. Why less? Simple reason is that a buyer has more protection buying through the Papal system of ebay than here, especially from someone with no history on the forum.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    I consider my equipment investments, I am a professional photographer. I expect my film gear to hold at least 70% of it's value, in many cases it has held 100% of it's value or more.

As for your other point, look, all I did was suggest that the new rules are too restrictive. I didn't kick a table over or throw a beer in anyone's face. If you don't agree with me then make your opposing argument or move it right along. If my opinion is so earth shattering to mods or forum members then I'm totally fine with the thread being deleted. It's just my feedback which I believe I should be free to give.
    I thought most professionals depreciated the value of equipment on their taxes to "get their money back".

LFPF is a great place for photographers to buy and sell among themselves. I trust LFPF and rarely look at ebay any more. It is also a great place to expand our large format knowledge. Ebay is neither, but is a useful place for place for merchants and their victims. May the two sites and their adherents never meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    LFPF is a great place for photographers to buy and sell among themselves. I trust LFPF and rarely look at ebay any more. It is also a great place to expand our large format knowledge. Ebay is neither, but is a useful place for place for merchants and their victims. May the two sites and their adherents never meet.
    Really? Well Jim, let me tell you my experience - all my bought used equipment comes from Ebay, none from LFPF. And I never felt like a "victim of merchants" on Ebay, quite the contrary - met very nice people online during my shopping there. If you want to avoid eBay at all cost, it's fine with me - more chance for the rest of us who get good stuff from there without prejudices. And you know what? Some of the merchants on Ebay were people from LFPF! Go wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I thought most professionals depreciated the value of equipment on their taxes to "get their money back".
    I do this with my Nikon digital equipment yes. Film stuff is much cheaper so you're better off taking the full deduction IMO.

Btw I just sold my stuff so yes, it retained 70% of its value. If the buyer chooses to sell the equipment as soon as he receives it for him it will retain 100% of its value I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    True, although, as I recall, the depreciation period allowed is frustratingly long, and totally inconsistent with the life of digital gear.

On the other hand, LFers repreciate the value of old, used gear.

Good point! I restored my ULF with three new bellows, price that! DIY better GG. Custom Ritter bail back mod. Kept patina but gently upgraded cosmetics by hand. Made lens boards. Installed NOS 4.5" Packard inside with better flash sync from modern micro switches. Found NOS Bakelite knobs for leveling exactly like the original. Upgraded to SS counterweight cables. Might upgrade to better. same as vintage casters. Refinished posts in better than original paint which is easily touched up and doesn't scratch or flake. Bought NOS Packard bulbs and hose. Also 5 Richard Ritter new film holders that are perfectly functional yet ageless design.

I know I repreciated! and gave an old boy another 50 years. No I don't use it everyday nor has it improved my photography.

No profit, no loss. NFS.

I think it needs a DIY dust cover...a dark cloth wire support or hood...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    True, although, as I recall, the depreciation period allowed is frustratingly long, and totally inconsistent with the life of digital gear.

On the other hand, LFers repreciate the value of old, used gear.
    Tin Can

I've sold a few things here and on APUG. Also bought a few things here and have been very happy with the transactions. I will list a few more things soon, I think, on both places. Once something got lost by the USPO on its way here that forum member gave me a full refund. It was $75. That's amazing service. I guess I've gotten so much from the community knowledge base and been treated reasonably here on buy/sell I plan to continue.