Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer water is warmer! What temp is yours now?

Re: Summer water is warmer! What temp is yours now?

Another vote from Tucson - seems to run 85 - 90 this time of year. The water pipes here are only about 12" below the surface so they warm up quite a bit. And I've seen winter temperatures around 12 - 14 and then everything freezes. If I let the water stand for an hour or so it seems to settle around 74 - 76 without using ice..

I was processing film last night, water out of the kitchen tap was running about 67° F here in foggy SF.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Because if you have a slab on grade house and you have to re-plumb, the attic (or the soffit) is the most assessable place most of the time. L
    Interesting! I will pay attention should I be in the area. It seems a benefit would be sufficient water pressure. I hope.

Twice a year, the Photographers Equinox occurs when tap water runs 68 degrees F. Here in Tyler those dates are usually late October and early June. We were running at 80 degrees yesterday. Can hit up in the high 90s but never seen 100. Currently using Pyrocat which comes with a little temperature chart to get you started. I'm leaving a big bucket of water to chill down in the central air augmented by chunks of ice in the freezer. I run film at 70F. Got some 8X10 to process today. In a month print washing will be very problematic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4854.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	152440

The first 40 gallons will be anywhere from 65F to 90F, depending on time of day and recent weather, because of the bladder tank in the pumphouse. In steady state, the water comes in at 71F, year round. If you prefer 68F processing, geothermal heat may not be your friend...

The only time that my water in SE Alberta is not around 68 F is during a really cold period when some of the water in the house freezes and that has to be in the minus 30 C range. I don't do that much in the darkroom in the summer other than processing film as the water might be a good temperature but the air is not and I need to run the a/c in the darkroom for several hours before I can go in to work. My darkroom is in the third floor bedroom and each level is 5C warmer than the one below.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Because if you have a slab on grade house and you have to re-plumb, the attic (or the soffit) is the most assessable place most of the time. L
    Just so you all know, the contractors in the Palm Springs area put the water supply in the attic because it's cheaper, not so you have access to it I case you do renovation to your house in the future. Also, my cold water lines are insulated. When I first moved into the house, they were not and the temperature of the cold water in the summer time if it was sitting in the pipes was hotter than the hot water! Had to run the cold water for over 5 minutes before we got ground water through all the lines. We had the contractor insulate all the cold water pipes shortly after we moved in.

My house in AZ has a rainwater catchment system and the cistern is partially buried so that the top is at grade, helps a lot with the water temp. Of course in the winter we get a thin layer of ice and the water is quite cold. I'll have to start measuring the water temp when I out there so I have a better idea of how it runs through out the year. I've only processed film out once, in the spring, definitely had to add hot water to get right temp. Last winter I added 2600 gallons of true underground storage, and another 5000 gallons of storage is planned, also underground. Nice to keep the water from getting to hot. I plan on having a darkroom there in the future, so the more storage I can add the better. We are off grid and the water table roughy 1500 ft, and financial well out of our reach.

Roger

I designed this for my JOBO ... I'm selling it now as I upgraded the design but it works great.

Drew Wiley

Turkish water pipe?