Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which High Bond Tape for ULF Bellows Installation?

Re: Which High Bond Tape for ULF Bellows Installation?

Another vote for pliobond I've used it to glue a few sets of bellows. It also worked really well to re-cover a super speed graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Another vote for pliobond I've used it to glue a few sets of bellows. It also worked really well to re-cover a super speed graphic.
    There are at least 4 kinds of Pliobond.

I think ULF bellows may exert higher forces by leverage on bonds.

I just ordered Pliobond 30. http://0363d88.netsolhost.com/WordPr...info-sheet.pdf
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I don't believe VHB tape is reversible. If you intend to remove the bellows at some future time, you may have a problem. Talking to 3M would be a good idea. I used VHB tape to adhere solar panels to the roof of my camper six years ago and they are still "bomb proof" after thousands of miles at high speeds.
    I am mounting the bellows to frames, so the bellows may change cameras if needed.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Upon some empirical testing and careful research, the most cost effective and perhaps best solution will be Pliobond 30 which is high VOC with higher solids content. Rated best Pliobond product for fabric to wood which is my usage.

It seems to be only available from aircraft supply houses which recommend it highly. Good enough for airplanes is good enough for me.

Addendum: Many things are now taped together, including cars, boats and aircraft which use tape to fasten metal to metal in mission critical situations.

Thanks for the advice Jim C!
    Sorry, I disagree with "mission critical situations" tape would never be used in structural applications, I've only encountered VHB tape use on trim.

Pliobond is a contact cement, the high solids means that one coat will fill voids better, multiple coats of Weldwood red label contact cement will do the same
    for probably the same price or less and you walk into any hardware store to get it.
    I've purchased Pliobond 30 from McMaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Sorry, I disagree with "mission critical situations" tape would never be used in structural applications, I've only encountered VHB tape use on trim.

Pliobond is a contact cement, the high solids means that one coat will fill voids better, multiple coats of Weldwood red label contact cement will do the same
    for probably the same price or less and you walk into any hardware store to get it.
    I've purchased Pliobond 30 from McMaster.
    I also just ordered from McMaster, but not the Pliobond. They have a deep inventory of camera parts!

A quick Google retrieved this page from an aircraft book. https://books.google.com/books?id=R7...20uses&f=false
    Tin Can

That Automatic Tape Laying refers to carbon fiber prepeg tapes that are to be vacuum bag laminated.

Quote Originally Posted by jim c. View Post
    that automatic tape laying refers to carbon fiber prepeg tapes that are to be vacuum bag laminated.
    ok
    Tin Can

I not sure about using (any type of) tape... Big problem is that tape has zero set time, so when mounting something flexible, you only have one shot to align it and bond (correctly)...

Inside bellows!?!!! Sounds like a disaster lurking to happen... (Like Lucy in the pretzel factory) Anything it touches, will bond forever... (You too...)

I would prefer a metal/wood/whatever inner plate that can be screwed down/changed/adjusted/removed without bonding...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    That Automatic Tape Laying refers to carbon fiber prepeg tapes that are to be vacuum bag laminated.
    This is a structural usage here. https://youtu.be/kl0Wl9cORT0 Shows how much better a cargo trailer is when taped together over rivets. And NASCAR...Pretty sure many vehicles are taped together.

However in my situation I still will use Pliobond.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    This is a structural usage here. https://youtu.be/kl0Wl9cORT0 Shows how much better a cargo trailer is when taped together over rivets. And NASCAR...Pretty sure many vehicles are taped together.

However in my situation I still will use Pliobond.
    All that video shows is the outer cosmetic skin being taped to a structural frame, didja notice the plywood interior ?